Frequently Asked Questions
Respiratory Care Program
1. Does acceptance to Tulsa Community College guarantee admission into the program?
No. There is limited enrollment to the program. Generally, 20-25 applicants are accepted following the interview process.
2. When can I enter the program?
Each year, a class of 20-25 students’ start in the fall semester.
3. Do all the general education courses have to be completed before entering the program?
No, but it is suggested to complete as many as possible so you can focus on the respiratory care courses.
4. Are applicants selected on a first-come, first-serve basis?
No. Applicants are selected based on overall GPA, GPA in math and science courses, and ACT score. Applicants with more math and science courses are more highly considered for acceptance.
5. Do classes and clinicals meet five days per week?
Classes and labs meet Monday-Thursday in the first semester. Generally, class times are 8:00-11:50, with a lab on either Monday or Wednesday from 1:00-2:50. During the last four semesters, classes and labs meet Monday-Wednesday, generally from 9:00-12:00 with an afternoon lab one day a week. Clinical rotations are on Thursday and Friday from 6:45-2:00.
6. Do I have to wait until I graduate before gaining employment as a respiratory therapist?
No. Students may begin working in a respiratory care department by the end of the second semester of the program after obtaining a provisional license from the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision.ShareThis