How to Become Involved
"The objective of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives"
Robert Maynard Hutchins
Who can apply and the application process
Students who wish to be tutors must
- Be currently enrolled at Tulsa Community College and have accepted a Federal Work study as part of their financial aid or must qualify for financial aid and Federal work study.
- Register for and maintain at least 1 credit hour
- Apply online through the Tulsa Community College employment website and be selected for interview by the Engaged Student Programming office
- Be willing to take an Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation background check which they must pass.
- Meet with TCC's Human Resources department to complete the relevant documentation inclusive of providing identification within three days of starting work.
Successful applicants will be contacted as soon as possible after their application has been reviewed and will be invited to an interview.
Rates of pay/benefits
Tutors will work up to 20 hours a week dependant on the pre-arranged schedule and Federal work-study award. Tutors are paid $9.11 per hour. Tutors will be paid for any work done that is related to America Reads America Counts.
Training is mandatory and lasts typically three to four hours and training material will be provided. Tutors will also be required to attend meetings. Ongoing training is also provided in the form of resources that can be accessed online.