Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Where can I find out what courses are required for a Music or Theatre degree?
Degree requirements can be found in the current catalog on the TCC website at  Look in the Degree and Certificate Programs section. 

May I enroll in a course without having met the course prerequisite? 
If you have transfer courses or previous experience covering the material in the prerequisite course you should visit with a full-time faculty member or the instructor teaching the course to determine the appropriate level.  Some courses and all private lessons require instructor approval to enroll. 

What is the procedure for auditing a class?
Pick up an Audit Contract form in the Enrollment Services office, ask your instructor to sign it and stipulate any course requirements.  Follow the directions on the form for signatures and turn in the form to Enrollment Services before the deadline. 

What is the difference between credit and continuing education classes?
Credit classes give college credit towards a degree.  Credit classes must meet a minimum of 16 contact hours per credit hour.  Ex. a 3-credit hour class meets 48 contact hours; a 2 credit hour course meets a minimum of  32 contact hours.  Continuing education classes have no restrictions on the number of class hours and receive no college credit. 

How many credit hours do I receive for my class?
A credit class ending in a 3 will be 3 credit hours; if it ends in a 2, it will be worth 2 credit hours; if it ends in a 1, it will be worth 1 credit hour.  Ex.  MUSC 1062 is 2 credit hours; THEA 1093 is 3 credit hours 

What is the difference between University Parallel (transfer) and Workforce Development programs?
University Parallel programs are programs that transfer to four-year universities.  It is the first two years of a four-year degree program and includes many of the general education requirements.  Workforce Development programs are degrees to help students advance within their current positions, open doors to new opportunities and work towards an associate degree in their field. 

Explain the difference between certificate and associate degree programs.
Certificate programs concentrate on specialized discipline courses and require fewer credit hours than an associate degree.  Associate degrees include these specialized courses as well as some general education requirements such as English and history.  Approximately 60 credit hours are required. 

How do I receive transfer credit for classes I have taken at another college?
The Enrollment Services office, 595-7736, can determine the courses receiving transfer credit. 

How much does it cost for my credit class?
You can get this information by calling the Bursar's office at 595-7635.


What are my options if I do not own an instrument?
You can rent an instrument from a music store, and  TCC has a few instruments to loan out.   You should visit with one of our full-time music faculty for additional ideas, or to check out a TCC instrument. 

Is there a place to store my instrument while I attend other classes?
The music department has some storage lockers in Building 6.  The student must supply the lock and combination after signing up to use a locker in the Performing Arts Division office. 

Are there practice rooms I can use?
Practice rooms are available in either the north wing or near the division office when the rooms are not occupied by private lessons in progress.   

Do you have any classes for non-music majors who want to take lessons for elective credit or just for fun?
MUSC 1191 and MUSC 1192  Private Lessons for Non-majors can be taken for piano, vocal and instrumental students.  MUSC 1191 is a half-hour lesson per week, and MUSC 1192 is a one-hour lesson per week. 

How do I apply for a music scholarship? 
A new application must be submitted each academic year and can be obtained in the Performing Arts Division office, SE 6267.  You will be notified if you are given a tuition waiver or talentship. 

What instrumental/vocal  private lessons can I take at TCC?
Private lessons are given in the following:  piano, organ, voice, guitar, violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, electric bass guitar, trumpet, horn, trombone, tuba, bassoon, harp, euphonium and percussion.

Am I required to take all eight credit hours of private lessons on my primary instrument as a music major?
Yes, as a music major you will want to obtain a high degree of proficiency on your primary instrument.  Additional hours on secondary instruments will give you more opportunities in your music career.

How do I sign up for private music lessons?
Contact a full-time music faculty member or the division office to get names and phone numbers of instructors for your instrument or for vocal lessons.  The next step is to contact the instructor and set up a time for your lesson.  The instructor will contact the division office to put a permission on the computer so you can enroll.  Once this is done you can enroll online. 

What is the cost of private lessons?
Private lessons incur the regular cost of one/two credit courses plus an additional fee each semester.  A one-credit private lesson has an additional fee of $50 each semester.  A two-credit private lesson has an additional fee of $100 each semester. 

Do I need instructor approval to enroll in Concert Band, Orchestra and Concert Choir?
There is no approval required to enroll in these three ensembles.  Instructors would like to visit with potential students prior to enrollment, however.  

How do I sign up for small ensembles?
Contact a full-time music faculty member or the division office to get names and phone numbers of ensemble instructors.  Contact the instructor for approval to enroll.  The instructor will contact the division office to put a permission on the computer for you to enroll.  Once this is done you can enroll online. 

Which level of course should I enroll?
Talk to a full-time faculty member or PT instructor to determine which level is appropriate for you. 

Which course should I take if I have never taken piano lessons?
Class Piano I is a good place to start if you have never had piano lessons before.

Who should enroll in the Recital Class, MUSC 1030?
All music majors must enroll in the Recital Class, MUSC 1030, during the fall/spring semesters of the freshman and sophomore year.  It should be taken a minimum of four semesters if the student is planning to transfer to a four-year university after the sophomore year.  It is a zero-credit course, and there will be no tuition or fees due.  Students receive a grade of Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory based on whether they have attended the required twelve concerts/recitals during the semester.

What type of concert is acceptable for the Recital Class performance attendance requirement?
Appropriate concerts include:  student recitals, music department concerts, Signature Symphony concerts, Tulsa Symphony Orchestra, Tulsa Ballet, Tulsa Opera, faculty recitals at TCC or other colleges, musical theater, jazz or global music events. 

Do you have any music composition courses?
Composition for Songwriters is offered.  Music composition, arranging and classical/popular crossover techniques will be studied.  Each student will write songs and a short concert music piece for any combination of strings and piano. 

Computer Music Techniques I develops computer music skills and comprehension of MIDI with the use of Sibelius music composition software.  The prerequisites are MUSC 1013 Music Theory I and intermediate computer skills. 

What courses do you offer in sound recording?
MUSC 1053 Recording Studio Techniques I and MUSC 2223 Recording Studio Techniques II are generally offered each semester. 

What opportunities are there for performing while I am enrolled in these music courses?
At least one performance on the PACE main stage is scheduled each semester for each ensemble.  Ensembles may perform at other TCC campus activities or off-campus venues.  Vocal and instrumental music majors are required to perform in recital at least once a semester with more frequent participation encouraged. 

What types of job titles will music graduates be qualified for?
Music graduates will be qualified for the following job titles:  Professional Instrumental Musician and/or Vocalist, Music Educator, Church Music Director, Music Composer, Music Therapist and Accompanist. 


What opportunities are there to work behind the scenes on productions?
The Theatre Department does 3-4 productions per academic year and students are required to work on them as part of their course requirements.

What is the average class size for theatre classes?
The average class size is between 10 and 20 students for theatre classes.

What acting classes do you have at TCC?
Currently we have Acting I, Acting II, Improvisation, Acting for Non-Majors and Private Acting.

Do you offer private acting lessons?
Yes, you can obtain more information on private acting lessons by calling the Performing Arts Division office at 918-595-7752 or coming to SE 6267.  The student will work one-on-one with an acting coach.  Lessons are scheduled at the convenience of the student and instructor. 

Are scholarships available in the theatre program?
A limited number of scholarships are available.  Students may apply for a scholarship by filling out the form online on the TCC website under Performing Arts Division. 

What types of job titles will Theatre graduates be qualified for?
Theatre graduates will be qualified for the following job titles: Actor/Actress, Stage Manager, Assistant Stage Manager, Stage Hand and Theatre Generalist. 

With additional technical theatre courses, students may be qualified for the following job titles: Scenic Carpenter/Welder, Scene Shop Foreman, Technical Director, Theatrical Electrician, Light Board Operator, Master Electrician, Sound Board Operator, Sound Technician, Follow-spot Operator, Props Master/Mistress, Wardrobe Assistant, First Hand, Stitcher, Cutter/Draper, Craftsperson, Rigger, Draftsmen, and CAD Operator.