Offer classes in a positive environment, taught by industry professionals, that will provide students with marketable skills.
The previous evenings Second Chance Scholarship Dinner event was emceed by Chef Jeff and featured Marion Jones as the keynote speaker.
2009 - 2010
In 2010, we had 34 graduates, including our first class of Restaurant Management Certificate Graduates. The guest speaker was Chef Jeff Henderson.
The night before the graduation we hosted a Second Chance Scholarship Dinner. The event included a patron reception and dinner with Chef Jeff also speaking at this event.
- Tulsa People Magazine - Advertisement
2010 also included a pilot program (in partnership with the Girl Scouts and Workforce Oklahoma) for female offenders at Turley Residential Center. Twelve ladies completed the Computer User Certificate and many of them walked in the TCC Graduation Ceremony held in May at the Mabee Center. Several also recently completed the Hospitality Certificate, and attend the Second Chance Scholarship Dinner to hear Chef Jeff Speak.
2008 - 2009
In 2009, we had 27 graduates, including our first class of Hospitality Management Certificate graduates and our guest speaker was Chef Jeff Henderson.
- New York Times Best-Selling Author and Food Network Personality Chef Jeff Henderson did not forgo his dreams just because he was incarcerated for nearly 10 years. Upon his release, he diligently worked in the hospitality industry, using his talent and determination to become a successful chef.
Like Chef Jeff, these students will most likely have to start "at the bottom" in jobs such as dishwasher. And like him, they will have to re-image themselves, all the while remaining persistent, passionate, focused, driven, and teachable. We believe his story of choices and consequences helps our graduates alleviate their fears, and helps instill the hope they need to move beyond their former life on the streets and toward the American dream.
We hosted a luncheon after the 2009 graduation to launch the Second Chance Scholarship. (Chef Jeff also spoke at the luncheon).
- The scholarship was created to bridges the gap between available funds and the cost of tuition and textbooks for both male and female offenders who want to improve their lives through education, prior to being released.
- OETA Story 7/30/09
- Conner Correctional Center Graduate Interviews
- TulsaWorld Article - Recipe for Freedom
- TulsaWorld Article - A Recipe for Success
2007 - 2008
We began offering classes (on site) at Dick Conner Correctional Center in Hominy, Oklahoma in 2007. This was in partnership with the Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections, and through the support of a Youthful Offenders Grant.
Due to this success, we began to look for ways to expand. After consulting with our industry advisors we learned that many ex-offenders find employment in kitchens, restaurants and hotels. Thus we decided to offer our Hospitality Program at Conner.
The Hospitality program is designed for individuals whose objective is to become qualified for employment in the hospitality industry; including entry-level supervisory or management positions.
- The program includes a Hospitality Management Certificate, Restaurant Management Certificate and an Associate Degree in Business - Hospitality Operations Option.