Back to Table of Contents

Workforce Development Degree

Program Description:
This degree is for individuals who want to become a director of a child care center. It is also for those who are already employed as a director and who want to upgrade their knowledge and skills to perform their duties more effectively or to advance to a position of more responsibility. The course of study combines instruction in child development, business, management, and accounting to provide students the diverse training and preparation needed to be a center director. Students should check with the Oklahoma Department of Human Services Child Care Licensing Unit prior to enrollment in the program to see if they have the necessary work experience to qualify as a candidate for director of a small or large child care center.

NOTE: Tulsa Community College’s Child Development Academic Program requires that all child development students enrolling in a child development laboratory course obtain a criminal background check at their own expense. Students must fill out and submit a Background Student Information Form along with Background Check Consent Form to the West Campus Child Development Academic Program office (S 128) or West Campus Liberal Arts office (L 144). Call 918-595-8177 or 918-595-8079 for more information.

Degree Awarded: Associate in Applied Science

For More Information Contact:
Liberal Arts Division, Child Development Academic Program, West Campus: (918) 595-8079

General Education Requirements Credit Hours: 24

Biology 3 hours
BIOL 1383 Nutrition

English 6 hours
*ENGL 1113 Composition I
and select one course from the following
*ENGL 1213 Composition II
*ENGL 2333 Technical Professional Writing

Mathematics 3 hours
*MATH 2423 Mathem
atics Concepts for Educators or select three hours from courses designated Mathematics from the list of General
Education courses.

Physical Education 3 hours
PHED 1113 Personal, School, and Community Health

Social Science 6 hours
POLS 1113 American Federal Government
and select one course from the following:
HIST 1483 U.S. History 1492 to Civil War Era
HIST 1493 U.S. History Civil War Era to Present

Speech 3 hours
SPCH 1113 Speech Communication I
SPCH 2103 Interpersonal Communication

Specialized Course Requirements Credit Hours: 36

Accounting 3 hours
*ACCT 1003 Introduction to Accounting

Child Development and Family Relations 24 hours
^CHLD 2003 Child Development in the Lifespan
^*CHLD 2103 Child Guidance
^CHLD 2113 Introduction to Child Care Management
^CHLD 2203 Child and Family in the Community
^*CHLD 2223 Early Childhood Foundations
^*CHLD 2253 Child Development Practicum
^*CHLD 2413 Professionalism & Leadership in Early Care & Education
and select one course from the following:
^*CHLD 2233 Physical Development and Creative Expression: Birth to Eight
^*CHLD 2263 Social and Emotional Development: Birth to Eight

Controlled Electives 9 hours
CHLD Select Any Courses
CSCI/CSYS Select Any Courses
SPAN Select Any Courses
BUSN 2213 Small Business Management
BUSN 2313 Business Law I
HSVC 1113 Principles of Human Services
HSVC 1213 Basic Counseling Services
HUMN 2113 Humanities I
HUMN 2223 Humanities II
INED 1363 American Sign Language I
INED 1413 Deaf Culture
MUSC 1002 Fundamentals of Music
MUSC 1113 Music Appreciation
PHED 2212 First Aid
PSYC 1113 Introduction to Psychology
PSYC 1313 Human Relations
*PSYC 2023 Developmental Psychology
*PSYC 2523 Child Psychology
SOCI 1113 Introduction to Sociology
*SOCI 2013 Marriage and Family
SPCH 1113 Speech Communication I
SPCH 2103 Interpersonal Communication

Total Credit Hours: 60

*Course has prerequisite (See course description section of catalog).

^Course must be completed with a “C” or better.

Students who have completed CHLD 1102, CHLD 1202, CHLD 1302, and CHLD 1402 with a grade of “C” or better may apply these credits toward any TCC Child Development Associate in Applied Science degree as controlled electives.

Students who have earned a CDA credential may apply 9 hours controlled elective credit toward any TCC Child Development Associate in Applied Science degree. Students may contact the West Campus Registrar’s Office. Students wanting to transfer to a four-year college or university should contact a counselor in the West Campus Counseling Center.


General education requirements can be found at: