DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY
Workforce Development Certificate
The DMS certificate program is designed to prepare students with the necessary skills to be employed as a sonographer in a variety of settings. The DMS Certificate program will incorporate the same specialized technical curriculum as the AAS degree. The certificate program will target those heath care professionals who have a college degree and are already registered/licensed in their field of study but wish to become proficient in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. The certificate will prepare them to sit for the RDMS registry exams. Instructional methodologies will be based on the latest technology and will reflect current professional practice standards.
The field of diagnostic ultrasound, or medical sonography, utilizes high frequency sound waves to image and evaluate organs and soft tissue structures of the body. The diagnostic medical sonographer is a skilled person qualified by academic and clinical education to perform sonographic examinations under the supervision of a qualified physician. The sonographer performs a variety of diagnostic examinations to include evaluations of the brain, abdomen, peripheral blood vessels, and studies of the pregnant and nonpregnant female patient, and plays a vital role in the diagnostic process. The profession continues to offer many excellent opportunities for employment.
Procedure for Application:
1. Applications are available through the Allied Health Services Division. Submit completed program application form and required materials by April 1 to the Allied Health Services Division located in the Alfred M. Philips Building, room MP458, 909 South Boston, Tulsa, OK 74119.
2. All prospective Diagnostic Medical Sonography program students must complete an application for enrollment to the College, submit their high school transcripts, ACT scores and previous college transcripts to the Metro Campus Registrar at 909 South Boston, Tulsa, OK 74119. Incomplete submissions will not be considered for admission into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.
3. Acceptance to Tulsa Community College does not guarantee admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.
4. Prerequisite coursework for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program must be completed before the program starts in the fall semester. These prerequisites are:
• MATH 1513 College Algebra
• PHYS 1013 Applied Medical Physics
5. Eligible applicants to be interviewed for consideration for admission into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program will be notified by mail or email. All interviewed applicants will be notified by mail regarding their selection status.
6. In order to enroll in courses that include a clinical component and are part of the program degree plan, students must receive clearance on a criminal background check, including sex offender registry. Potential students need to be aware that drug testing and immunization clearance is a requirement for participation in all clinical components.
Degree Awarded: Certificate of Achievement
For More Information Contact:
The Allied Health Services Division, 918-595-7002
General Education Requirements Credit Hours: 3
Mathematics 3 hours
+*MATH 1513 College Algebra
Specialized Course Requirements Credit Hours: 46
Diagnostic Medical Sonography 43 hours
^*DMS 1002 Introduction to Diagnostic Medical Sonography
^*DMS 1103 Acoustical Physics and Instrumentation I
^*DMS 1213 Acoustical Physics and Instrumentation II
^*DMS 1223 Abdominal Sonography I
^*DMS 1224 Neurosonography and Small Parts Sonography
^*DMS 1233 OB/GYN Sonography I
^*DMS 1242 Sonography Clinical Practice I
^*DMS 1252 Sonography Clinical Practice II
^*DMS 2035 Sonography Clinical Practice III
^*DMS 2101 Medical Communication
^*DMS 2123 Abdominal Sonography II
^*DMS 2131 Ultrasound Seminar
^*DMS 2133 OB/GYN Sonography II
^*DMS 2148 Sonography Clinical Practice IV
Physics 3 hours
+PHYS 1013 Applied Medical Physics
Total Credit Hours: 49
*Course has prerequisite (See course description section of catalog).
^Course must be completed with a “C” or above
+ Prerequisite to Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
General education requirements can be found at: www.tulsacc.edu/gened.