Workforce Development Certificate
The Medical Assistant is a Certificate of Achievement that takes three 16 week terms to complete and prepares individuals with the skills needed for both the clinical (back office) and administrative (front office) areas in a physician office or clinic setting. Clinical duties include but are not limited to: patient triage, medial record documentation, taking of vital signs, performing EKGs and X-rays, drawing blood, giving injections, basic pharmacology, wound dressing, suture removal, performing lab tests, infection control, medical asepsis and sterilization procedures, disposal of biohazard waste, or assisting the physician with patient exams, diagnostic procedures and minor office surgery. Administrative duties include but are not limited to: confidentiality of patient information, computer applications in the medical office, telephone triage, scheduling of office, outpatient, and hospital visits, medical record preparation, filing, coding, compliance, insurance billing, patient billing, collections, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, inventory, medical office management and medical office supervision.
The Medical Assistant Program at Tulsa Community College is nationally accredited by the commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Curriculum Review Board (CRB) of the American Association of Medical Assistants’ Endowment (AAMAE).
Prerequisites should be taken prior to admission to the program. Prospective students should submit an application for admission to Tulsa Community College and the Medical Assistant program application by May 1 each year.
Degree Awarded: Certificate of Achievement
For More Information Contact:
The Allied Health Services Division located in the Alfred M. Phillips Building, Metro Campus, Room MP 458, 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119, (918) 595-7002 for program application and any other specific information.
Procedures For Application:
1. Submit completed Tulsa Community College application for admission, high school or GED transcripts, ACT scores, and any previous technical school or college transcripts to Metro Campus Registrar at 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119.
2. All applicants must have a 2.5 GPA or better and / or an ACT of 19 or better or passing scores in all areas of the CPT. Submit completed Medical Assistant program application before May 1 to TCC Allied Health Services Division, Alfred M. Phillips Center, Room MP458, 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119.
3. All applicants must possess keyboarding by touch skills with ability to type 40 wpm on a typing test. If keyboarding skills are lacking, take BUSN 1123 and / or BUSN 1243.
4. All applicants must possess proficient computer skills with ability to pass a computer concepts and applications test or take CSCI 1203.
5. All applicants must possess current First Aid and CPR certification prior to enrollment in the medical assistant externship course.
6. Applicants selected for the program will receive a letter of acceptance through the mail.
7. All applicants must complete the prerequisite courses ALDH 1323, BIOL 1314. and CSCI 2013 with a ‘C’ or better prior to acceptance into the program.
8. All specialized courses in the MDAS Program must be passed with a grade of “C” or above.
9. In order to enroll in courses that include a clinical component, students must receive clearance on a criminal background check, including sex offender registry. Potential students need to be aware that drug testing and clearance is a requirement for participation in all clinical components.
Allied Health 3 hours
ALDH 1323 Medical Terminology
Biology 4 hours
BIOL 1314 Human Anatomy & Physiology
Computer Science 3 hours
*CSCI 2013 Word
Medical Assistant 30 hours
*MDAS 1315 Clinical Procedures
*MDAS 1343 Medical Office Concepts and Applications
*MDAS 2234 Common Disease and Treatments
*MDAS 2243 Medical Office Financial Management and Applications
*MDAS 2336 Medical Assistant Externship
*MDAS 2346 Clinical Laboratory Procedures
*MDAS 2393 Medical Coding & Insurance Billing for the Physician Office
Total Credit Hours: 40
*Course has prerequisite (See course description section of catalog).
General education requirements can be found at: www.tulsacc.edu/gened.