PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT
Workforce Development Degree
Tulsa Community College offers a five (5) term Physical Therapist Assistant Program accredited by The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, American Physical Therapy Association, 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, Telephone: (703) 706- 3245, website: www.apta.org/CAPTE.
The physical therapist assistant is a technically educated health care provider who assists the physical therapist in the provision of physical therapy. The physical therapist assistant may perform procedures and related tasks that have been selected and delegated by the supervising physical therapist. To further investigate the role of the physical therapist assistant, contact the American Physical Therapy Association at www.apta.org. Successful completion of this program requires that the student perform at a “C” level or better in all of their physical therapist assistant courses.
The graduate of this program is eligible to apply for the National Physical Therapy Examination for the physical therapist assistant. Individuals who have been convicted of a felony or of a crime involving moral turpitude, or who have had a drug problem, may not be permitted to take the licensure examination. If any of these circumstances exist, you may wish to contact the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision, (405)-848-6841 for clarification.
Degree Awarded: Associate in Applied Science
For More Information Contact:
Allied Health Services Division at Metro Campus:
(918) 595-7002 for program application form and any specific program information.
Admission To The Program:
Program admits one class each year during the spring term.
Procedure For Application:
1. Submit completed program application form and required materials by December 1 to the Allied Health Services Division located in the Alfred M. Philips Building, room MP458, 909 South Boston, Tulsa, OK 74119.
2. All prospective Physical Therapist Assistant Program students must complete an application for enrollment to the College, submit their high school transcripts, ACT scores and previous college transcripts to the Metro Campus Registrar at 909 South Boston, Tulsa, OK 74119. Incomplete submissions will not be considered for admission into the Physical Therapist Assistant program.
3. Acceptance to Tulsa Community College does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
4. Eligible applicants to be interviewed for consideration for admission into the Physical Therapist Assistant Program will be notified by mail. All interviewed applicants will be notified by mail regarding their selection status.
5. In order to enroll in courses that include a clinical component and are part of the program degree plan, students must receive clearance on a criminal background check, including sex offender registry. Potential students need to be aware that drug testing and clearance is a requirement for participation in all clinical components.
General Education Requirements Credit Hours: 19
Biology 4 hours
º**BIOL 1314 Human Anatomy and Physiology
English 6 hours
*ENGL 1113 Composition I
and select 3 credit hours from the following:
*ENGL 1213 Composition II
*ENGL 2333 Technical / Professional Writing
Psychology 3 hours
PSYC 1113 Introduction to Psychology
Social Science 6 hours
POLS 1113 American Federal Government
and select one course from the following:
HIST 1483 U.S. History 1492 to Civil War Era
HIST 1493 U.S. History Civil War Era to Present
Specialized Course Requirements Credit Hours: 49
Allied Health 3 hours
ºALDH 1323 Medical Terminology
Physical Therapist Assistant 46 hours
º*PHTA 1203 Anatomy and Physiology for PTAs
º*PHTA 1242 Human Growth and Development
º*PHTA 1303 Introduction to Physical Therapy
º*PHTA 1232 Clinical Practice I
º*PHTA 1363 Kinesiology for PTA’s
º*PHTA 1383 Pathophysiology for PTAs
º*PHTA 1392 Clinical Procedures I
º*PHTA 2113 Rehabilitation
º*PHTA 2343 Clinical Procedures II
º*PHTA 2373 Therapeutic Exercise I
º*PHTA 2383 Therapeutic Exercise II
º*PHTA 2432 Clinical Practice II
º*PHTA 2442 Psychosocial Aspects of Physical Therapy
º*PHTA 2486 Clinical Practice III
º*PHTA 2543 Neuroscience
º*PHTA 2522 Special Studies in Clinical Practice
º*PHTA 2551 Pharmacology for PTAs
Total Credit Hours: 68
*Course has prerequisite (See course description section of catalog).
**Student may substitute BIOL 2154 and BIOL 2134 for BIOL 1314.
ºCourse must be completed with a “C” or above.
General education requirements can be found at: www.tulsacc.edu/gened.