Q&A: Financing Study Abroad

Please review the frequently asked questions regarding financial aid and Study Abroad programming. If you need additional information or have questions please call or e-mail the financial aid contact provided at the bottom of this page. Please keep in mind that students should begin planning and saving for their study abroad experience months in advance. You can start planning by saving a little every week and asking parents and relatives for travel money instead of gifts for your birthday and/or other holidays. Click HERE for fundraiting ideas.  

Most forms of financial aid for which students are eligible, including grants, student loans and scholarships may be applied to the cost of TCC-sponsored study abroad programs. Following are some general guidelines for financial aid for study abroad programs. Please remember that every student’s financial aid situation is different. Visit the Tulsa Community College website for a comprehensive overview of financial aid. It is best if you contact the Office of Financial Aid directly for additional information about your situation.

Questions & Answers

Q: Is financial aid available for short term (1-2 week) study abroad programming?

A: Yes, financial aid is available to students seeking a degree from TCC and who are enrolled in credit courses taken on campus, online or through short-term study abroad programming. Each short-term study abroad trip at TCC is coupled with a specific course worth 1 - 4 credit hours.

Q: What types of financial aid are available to me?

A: For a complete list of the type of financial aid available to students seeking a degree from TCC, please see TCC’s Financial Aid Web page. Below is a very general and brief description of the types of financial aid available at TCC:

  • Pell Grant – Pell eligible students may use their eligibility to help cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies and other educationally related expenses including study abroad programming.
  • Federal Direct Student Loans – students who are enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) may be eligible for federal direct subsidized and/or unsubsidized student loans to assist with educationally related expenses including study abroad programming.
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans – parents of federal student aid recipients who are enrolled at least half time may be eligible for a PLUS loan to assist their child with educationally related expenses including study abroad programming.
  • Other financing options may be available through private donations, loans, sponsorships, etc., which you will need to research and seek on your own.

Q: How do I apply for financial aid for study abroad programming?

A: To apply for federal student aid complete the FAFSA for the 2015-2016 academic year, this will serve as the application for Fall 2015, Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 semesters. This application is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Additional application instructions are available on TCC's financial aid Web page.

Q: When and how will I receive my financial aid refund?

A: Students participating in the study abroad will receive their refund in the same manner as all other TCC students. The Financial Aid Office disburses financial aid to student accounts after the add/drop period and confirmation of attendance. After disbursement, the Bursar Office will process refunds of credit balances which are made available on the Tulsa CC card.

Q: How can financial aid probation or suspension affect my study abroad experience?

A: Students on financial aid probation should have an alternative source of funding in place. For example: If you are on financial aid probation for the spring semester and plan to go on a summer intercession trip and the Financial Aid Office determines that you failed to meet the requirements of your “academic plan” you will be placed on financial aid suspension and will be ineligible for summer financial aid. Grades do not post until the term is over, so you could be committed and/or traveling before you find out you are suspended. Please review TCC’s financial aid Web page for more information regarding satisfactory academic progress.

Q: How many credit hours are considered full time in the summer?

A: For financial aid purposes, full time is defined as enrollment in 12+ credit hours for each fall, spring and summer semester. Additional enrollment statuses are defined as three-quarter time 9 to 11 credit hours, half-time 6 to 8 credit hours and less than half time 1 to 5 credit hours. Please be aware that a student cannot enroll in more credit hours than the length of the term; therefore, to be considered full time during the summer semester, you would need to combine an intercession course with traditional summer courses. For example: One May intercession class worth 3 credit hours plus three traditional 3 credit hours classes (9 credit hours) would equal 12 credit hours during the summer semester. You do not have to be enrolled full time to receive financial aid or participate in the short-term study abroad program.

If you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at .918.595-7441 and reference "Study Abroad" or send an e-mail to Missy Makres, assistant director of Financial Aid for Campus Relations and Outreach.