Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

TCC understands that policies and regulations can sometimes be confusing.   Remember, students are always welcome to visit with academic advisors and/or financial aid advisors on any campus.  Appointments are not necessary.

What is Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is financial assistance for eligible students to pay for education expenses at an eligible post secondary school (e.g., college, vocational school, graduate school). 

There are three categories of federal student aid: Grants (FA that does not have to be repaid; unless you withdraw from school and owe a refund), Work-Study (FA that allows you to earn money for your education), and Loans (FA that allows you to borrow money for your education; you must repay your loans with interest). 

Federal student aid covers such expenses as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation.  Aid can also pay for a computer and for dependent care.

Are all colleges changing the rules for financial aid?

The short answer is “Yes.”  ALL, not some, not a few, but ALL colleges must comply with these new U. S. government rules.  Last fall the U.S. Congress passed a law which directed the Department of Education to rewrite the financial aid regulations for all institutions of higher education.  TCC, like all other institutions of higher education--public, private, and for profit--has spent the spring and summer rewriting our procedures to reflect the new regulations that came into force effective July 1, 2011.

How Can I Monitor My Financial Aid?

Both current and prospective students should regularly check MyTCC system to monitor the status of their financial aid.  The Financial Aid (FA) Office will record any additional information requested of the student, and failure to provide these material(s) in a timely manner will delay the processing of your aid application.  You can also check here to make sure that the FA office has received any/all materials that you have submitted. 

Once your FA decision is complete, you will be able to view it online by logging on to MyTCC and following the links to access your awards.  You will need to accept or decline any “offered” work-study or loan(s) amounts.  Grants and Scholarships offered on the award will be automatically accepted and processed for you.

Students should also check their email often.  This is also how students are notified of changes or modifications to TCC Institutional and Financial Aid policies.

MYTCC is a secure site therefore you must sign in using your User ID and 6-digit PIN.  


FREQUENTLYcheck the following areas for information on your financial aid:

                 1.  MYTCC

                 2.  TCC Website – Financial Aid Link


How will I know if I own money back to TCC?

Students who withdraw from a course are still responsible for the cost of the course. A withdrawal in of itself does not relieve the student of the obligation of payment.

Financial Aid will notify you through your TCC email that you’ve had funds returned.  Always check your TCC email frequently.

If you have questions about a balance, you can check your MyTCC account to review your account, and verify whether you have an outstanding balance. You can also contact Call2000 at 918-595-2010 or visit any campus Bursar or Financial Aid office for questions about an account balance.

How much money will I owe back?

For Federal Financial Aid recipients: If a withdrawal requires a reduction in your financial aid awards, then the amount  you will owe will be based on factors such as how much aid was originally paid, and how long you stayed enrolled. You may be required to return almost all of the financial aid you were paid. Within 45 day of the withdrawal, you will be notified via your MyTCC email if your financial aid was reduced due to a withdrawal.

What if I withdraw from a course and, as a result, I must return funds back to TCC, but I’ve already spent the financial aid I received?

As a student, you are responsible for understanding the withdrawal process and how it can affect your student record.  As long as you have an account balance, you are responsible for paying that balance.


What if I do not pay the money I owe to TCC?  

If you do not pay your account balance in full, holds will be placed on your student record and you will be unable to enroll or get official transcripts.   TCC will also work with the Oklahoma Tax Commission to intercept any Oklahoma tax refund you may have and ultimately, your account could also be placed with an outside collection agency.


New students are often confused by terms the TCC faculty, staff and others use.  We hope that by defining these frequently used terms, we can help eliminate any confusion and create a more successful college experience:


What does it mean to be “Registered” or “Enrolled”?

To be registered or enrolled at TCC means you have created a schedule for yourself on MYTCC and are committed to attending, paying for and completing the classes on your schedule.  Once initially enrolled in a class, you may adjust your schedule prior to the end of the schedule adjustment period, which is indicated in the TCC Academic Calendar on the website or in the printed catalog. 

Enrollment - This is the procedure by which students choose classes each semester. It also includes the assessment and collection of fees. Pre-enrollment is the method by which students select courses well in advance of the official enrollment date of the next term.

Drop and Add - Students are generally permitted to drop courses from their class schedules and/or add other courses. Colleges allow varying lengths of time for students to add and drop classes. The college catalog or class schedule should note the correct procedures. Students usually need written approval from designated college officials to initiate dropping or adding a class.

Withdrawal - Students may withdraw from courses during a semester, but there are established procedures for doing so. The college catalog and/or Class Schedule generally specify the procedures. Written approval from a university official must be secured, and some fees must be paid.

Educational Plan Students meet with an academic advisor who assists them with mapping out specific courses to take each semester which will help them meet their educational goals at TCC.  If students need to take developmental courses, the courses will be included in the educational plan.  Advisors will assist the students in understanding that placement in developmental courses, while a necessary part of their academic coursework, will lead to gateway courses and introductory major courses either concurrently or immediately following successful completion of the developmental courses.