Contact Informationmary.firstname.lastname@example.org (918) 595-7622
- English 1113 Composition I
- English 1213 Composition II
- English 2473 Creative Writing: Short Story
- English 2483: Creative Writing: Novel
- Knox College, Galesburg, IL - Bachelor’s of English/Creative Writing
- Iowa State University, Ames, IA - Master’s of Art, English/Creative Writing
Publications & Presentations
“Diggers in the Garden: The Habits of Mind of Creative Writers in Basic Writing Classrooms," (with Kristine Rae Anderson, Jeffrey Becker, Phoebe Reeves, and Jill Stukenberg ) Teaching English in the Two-Year College, December 2014.
“Theories of Creativity and Creative Writing Pedagogy” (with Anna Leahy and Mary Swander) The Handbook of Creative Writing, edited by Steven Earnshaw, Edinburgh University Press, 2014.
“Assessment as Empowerment: Grading Entry-Level Creative Writing,” in Teaching Creative Writing, edited by Heather Beck, Palgrave MacMillan, 2012.
“Gifts,” Big Muddy, vol. 6.2. Winter, 2006.
Review of Amy Bloom's Where the God of Love Hangs Out, Tulsa World, October 2011.
“Teaching and Evaluation: Why Bother?” in The Authority Project: Power and Identity in the Creative Writing Classroom, edited by Anna Leahy, Multilingual Matters, 2005.
“Authority in the Creative Writing Classroom: Why Bother?’ Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Chicago, IL, March 2000
“Degrees of Significance: Creative Writing in the Two-Year College,” Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Portland, OR, March 2002
“Minding Our Metaphors: Defining What We Do,” Associated Writing Programs, Baltimore, MD, February 2003
“Blue Teachers in a Red State,” Associated Writing Programs, Austin, TX, February 2006
"The Joy of Assessment: Romancing Narratives of Student Success from Outcomes and Rubrics," Association of Writers and Writing Programs, Denver, CO, April 2010
“Creative Writers in Basic Writing Classrooms” Panel Presentation, Associated Writing Programs Annual Conference, Boston, MA. March, 2013.
“Advancing a Performance-Based Culture Through Strategic Planning,” Panel Presentation, League for Innovation 2016 Conference, Chicago, IL, March 2016.
- George Kaiser Family Foundation Endowed Chair for Concurrent Enrollment
- 2015 TCC Teaching Excellence Award
- 2007 TCC Teaching Excellence Award
- Pearl Hogrefe Fellowship, Iowa State University