MEDICAL ASSISTANT - MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION OPTION
Workforce Development Certificate
The Medical Transcription program is a Certificate of Achievement that takes three (3) semesters to complete and provides the training for an individual to work as a medical transcriptionist in a hospital, medical transcription service, physician’s office, clinic, laboratories, medical libraries, government medical facilities, other related health care setting or at home. Responsibilities include but are not limited to knowledge of professional ethics, confidentiality, record retention, commonly used medical report formats, basic grammar and mechanics of writing, proofreading and editing skills, computer concepts and word processing, medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, laboratory testing, diagnostic procedures, common surgical procedures, basic pharmacology, and human disease processes. The Medical Transcription Certificate of Achievement option of the Medical Assistant Program is not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB) of the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment (AAMAE).
Prospective students should submit an application for admission to Tulsa Community College and the Medical Transcription program by May 1 each year.
Degree Awarded: Certificate of Achievement
For more Information Contact:
Allied Health Services Division located in the Alfred M. Phillips Building, Metro Campus, Room MP 458, 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119, (918) 595-7002 for program application and any other specific information.
Procedures For Application:
1. Submit completed Tulsa Community College application for admission, high school or GED transcripts, ACT scores, and any previous technical school or college transcripts to Metro Campus Registrar at 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119.
2. All applicants must have a 2.5 GPA or better and / or an ACT of 19 or better or passing scores in all areas of the CPT.
3. Submit completed Medical Transcription Program application before May 1st to TCC Allied Health Services Division, Alfred M. Phillips Center, Room MP458, 909 South Boston Avenue, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74119.
4. All applicants, must possess keyboarding by touch skills with ability to type 40 wpm on a typing test. If keyboarding skills are lacking, take BUSN 1123 and / or BUSN 2173.
5. All applicants must possess proficient computer skills with ability to pass a computer concepts and applications test or take CSCI 1203.
6. Applicants selected for the program will receive a letter of acceptance through the mail.
7. All general education and specialized courses in the Medical Transcription Program must be passed with a grade of “C” or above.
8. In order to enroll in courses that include a clinical component, students must receive clearance on a criminal background check, including sex offender registry. Potential students need to be aware that drug testing and clearance is a requirement for participation in all clinical components.
Allied Health 3 hours
ALDH 1323 Medical Terminology
Biology 4 hours
BIOL 1314 Human Anatomy & Physiology
Computer Science 3 hours
CSCI 2013 Word
English 3 hours
ENGL 1083 Grammar and Mechanics
Medical Transcription 20 hours
*MDAS 2234 Common Diseases and Treatments
*MDTR 2305 Medical Transcription I
*MDTR 2315 Medical Transcription II
*MDTR 2436 Medical Transcription Externship
Total Credit Hours: 33
*Course has prerequisite (See course description section of catalog).
General education requirements can be found at: www.tulsacc.edu/gened.