Declaring a Major

Choosing a Major
Any student pursuing any degree or certificate program at TCC needs to declare a major.

Degree options at TCC include Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science or a Certificate of Achievement degrees. Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees are designed for people who want to continue on to bachelor's-level work at a university. Associate in Applied Science degrees and Certificates of Achievement are work force development degrees. This means the programs are designed for students who intend to enter the work force directly after graduation, as opposed to transferring on to a university for a higher-level degree. You can find a complete list of degree options available at TCC in the college catalog.

The Career Services staff works with students who want to learn more about career options related to their major. Visit the Career Services website .

How do I declare or change my major?
Visit an Academic Advisement or Enrollment Services office at any campus. After meeting with an advisor, the student should follow the degree plan for the new major as advised.

I have declared my major, now what?
Follow the curriculum plan listed in the catalog for that major. If a student does not attend TCC for any length of time, he/she should consult an advisor about potential changes to the degree plan.

Work closely with an academic advisor each semester to make certain you are enrolled in the correct courses for your degree program, especially if you are planning to transfer to a four-year college or university. Students are encouraged to begin a dialog with their intended transfer schools as early as possible. Early coordination between TCC academic advisors and advisors from selected four-year institutions can streamline the transfer process. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he/she understands the program/admission/transfer requirements for the transfer school.