Transfer Students

Transferring in and Evaluating Course Work
Transfer students expecting credit for course work completed at other institutions should begin the admissions process as soon as possible. Generally, it can take up to six to eight weeks for official transcripts to be formally evaluated for credit. Incoming transfer students should work closely with the Academic Advisement Office to ensure they understand this process thoroughly. Because this process can take time, we encourage you to submit ALL of your official transcripts from EACH of your previously attended institutions as soon as you can. While transfer students follow the same basic admissions process as others, there are some important steps you can take to minimize confusion and maximize efficiency:

The Protocol for Transfer Credit Is as Follows

  • Student submits official transcripts to Enrollment Services.
  • Registrar evaluates the transcripts (usually within eight weeks).
  • The student meets with Advisement to discuss any discrepancies or questions. Keep in mind that the Advisement Office will have a difficult time answering your questions before your transcript is formally evaluated.

When applying for admission, be sure to select a degree-seeking major. Official transcripts submitted for “temporary” and “non-degree-seeking” students will not be automatically evaluated. It is wise to follow up with Enrollment Services or Advisement to make sure your major is declared properly.

If you intend to enroll in a course which has a prerequisite, and you believe you’ve completed the prerequisite course at another institution, you may meet with an academic advisor to discuss the best approach to being permitted into the class. You should still submit official transcripts, but you can bring an unofficial transcript to Advisement and they will assist you with determining if you are eligible to enroll in the course you’ve identified.

Students can determine if their transcripts have been evaluated by logging into MYTCC and checking their “Academic Transcript” (Registration Tools -> Student -> Student Records -> Academic Transcript (select “All Levels” and “Unofficial Transcript Credit)." Once you see your course work from your other institution(s), you may follow up with Advisement for any concerns you have.

Once your transcript is evaluated - If you see a course re-named or “unclassified” (it may look like ENGL 1XXX , for example), it may mean that TCC either does not have an equivalent course, or TCC has no precedent for ascribing credit for the course. If this happens to one of your courses, and you believe the course should “count,” you can discuss the situation with an academic advisor. Advisement can assist the student in requesting a second review of the course. Usually, this will require a course description (from the college’s catalog published during the appropriate academic year) for the course in question. Advisors do not evaluate courses or transcripts. They simply assist in the process to ensure the student has submitted the proper documents so the course can be reviewed more closely.

For course work transferring in from out-of-state, smaller or less common institutions, it is usually requested that the student provide course descriptions from the home college’s catalog. This request is routine for any course work that has not been evaluated previously, as well.

Nursing Applicants with transfer course work are strongly encouraged to begin the admissions and transfer process as early as possible. Because applicants face deadlines for their documents, it is crucial that students are proactive during this process. Keep in mind that it takes time for transcripts to be reviewed, and if you need to request a substitution it could take a few more weeks before you have a final ruling on what “counts” and what does not.

Transferring Out
Students may meet with Academic Advisors if they have any questions or concerns about transferring to another college. In general, the majority of TCC’s General Education courses transfer to other Oklahoma colleges. Similarly, many of the more common major-specific courses will transfer favorably to other in-state institutions, as well. However, students with concerns about how their course work from TCC will transfer to another institution are strongly encouraged to contact a representative from their target school. In the end, the other institution has the final say on whether or not a course will be accepted for credit.

Some Tips for TCC Students Intending to Transfer to Another Institution:

  • For Oklahoma transfers, you may find the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education website helpful. They provide a transfer matrix to help students discern which courses are equivalent, etc. Visit the transfer matrix  for more information.
  • Official transcripts! Remember to submit your official transcripts to the school to which you are transferring your enrollment. Do this early to avoid any last-minute stress and unexpected challenges.
  • While academic advisors may be able to provide some insight regarding what will transfer and what will not, please do not expect them to have all the answers. Because they do not represent the other colleges, the best and most accurate information regarding transfer course work will always reside within the institution to which you are transferring.