ACCESS TO STUDENT RECORDS
Student records at Tulsa Community College are maintained in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as Amended in 1995. The Act affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records.
- These rights include the right of students to request access to their personal records and also the right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate.
- The student must submit in writing a request precisely noting the record for review.
- Additionally, students have the right to consent of disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
The Act affords students the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA:
Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Ave, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605
In order to release information to a third party, a FERPA Release Form must be on file in the Enrollment Services Office.
FERPA RELEASE FORM
It is the policy of Tulsa Community College, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), to withhold personally identifiable information contained in the students’ educational records unless the student has consented to disclosure or FERPA allows disclosure. A description of these rights can be viewed in the TCC Student Policies and Resources Handbook.
To authorize disclosure of the educational record to a third party, the student must download and complete the FERPA Release Form and submit to an Enrollment Services or Financial Aid Office on any campus.
Ways to Submit the FERPA Release Form:
- Student may visit any campus Enrollment Services Office or Financial Aid Office with a photo I.D. and sign the form in person.
- Submit the Ferpa Release form via the student's official TCC email address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit the Ferpa Release form via fax to any Enrollment Services office with a clear and valid photo I.D.
The FERPA release form may be revoked at anytime by completing a new FERPA release and selecting the revoke option.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) further provides that certain portions of a student record may be deemed directory information and be released to a third party without the written consent of the student.
- TCC designates student name, mailing address, degrees or certificates earned, major, last term of attendance, and honor awards as directory information.
- The College may release a student's directory information without the written release of the student as allowed by FERPA.
- The College is authorized to obtain or provide educational records as allowed by law.
- A directory is printed each term listing student name, city, and state, to comply with the Oklahoma Records Act.
A student may request the College not to release directory information. The request must be in writing, signed by the student, and submitted to the Enrollment Services Office prior to the end of the fourth week of a term or the end of a second week of a summer term. Students registering after this deadline may sign an information withholding request at the time of enrollment.