ISS Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply to Tulsa Community College?

Complete the International Student Admission Packet (F-1 Visas), or Con-Current Enrollment Packet, and submit required documentation to the International Student Services Office before enrollment deadlines.  (F-1 Visa Student Admissions)

  • When do I need to pay tuition

The Office of the Bursar offers three payment options. Students can sign-up online to pay in full, pay cash, or submit documentation for third-party billing in person at any Campus Bursar Office. There is no administrative fee if the student is paying in full up front. 

Students can go online and choose a payment plan in There is a $35 dollar non-refundable service fee for students who select a payment plan. 

Students can use a third-party method of payment under the conditions that the college can verify the payment source or that the student can provide acceptable documentation of the payment source. 

 More information is available online here.

  • What is the minimum TOEFL score required for admission?

The minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission into college-level courses is 500 (paper-based); 173 (computer-based); 61 (Internet-based); and 6 (IELTS).

The minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission into the ESL program is 460 (paper-based); 140 (computer-based); 48 (Internet-based); and 5 (IELTS).

  • Do my credits at TCC transfer to other colleges and universities?

Yes, they do. Below is a brief list, but you can verify with the institution which you wish to transfer to after TCC.

The University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University, Oklahoma City University, The University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma State University IT, Northeastern State University, Langston University, The University of Central Oklahoma, Rogers State University, The University of Arkansas, Arkansas State University, University of Southern California, Southern Nazarene University, St. Gregory's University, Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Northwest Missouri State University, Missouri Southern State University, Pittsburg State University, Bellevue University, Ashford University, University of Phoenix

You can also look at our University Transfer Guide for more information.

  • What financial aid or scholarships are available at Tulsa Community College?

International Students do not qualify for federal financial aid at Tulsa Community College, which is often a scholarship application requirement. However, a small number of international students have been awarded scholarships by applying within a department. More importantly, finishing an associate's degree will strengthen transfer scholarship applications to senior institutions.

  • Why does TCC recommend a local contact?

Tulsa Community College does not provide dormitories; nor does TCC have a shuttle system for campus-to-campus transportation. The requirement of a local contact ensures our international students will have no difficulties establishing a place to live, obtaining transportation, and depositing their money into a bank account. 

  • Does TCC require students to have health insurance? 

While health insurance is not required by TCC, it is VERY important to have health insurance when you are in the United States. Health care is expensive and a person who does not have health insurance MUST pay everything out-of-pocket. A simple visit to the emergency room can cost you $1,000 or more. The following is a list of insurance companies offering coverage to international students:

                - The Harbour Group:

                - Internatioanl Student Insurance:

                - ISO Student Health Insurance:

                - Collegiate Care:

                - NRIOL.NET:


*The U.S. government will not pay for medical expenses accrued by international students. Actually, it is a violation of immigration law for F-1 students or their dependents to accept public assistance including medical care. You could have problems renewing your visa, re-entering the United States, or even be asked to pay back expenses in full. 

  • Do all students have to attend orientation?

All new F-1 visa students on a TCC I-20 must attend the International Student Orientation. Orientation is held during the last Friday prior to the start of the fall semester, or on the Friday of the first week of the spring semester. Students who begin their studies in the summer must attend the new student orientation at the start of the fall semester. TCC's International Student Orientation requirement includes transfer students from other U.S. institutions.

  • If I want to work on campus, where should I apply?

Start by completing an application on the TCC website at If you need additional assistance, visit with an advisor in Student Career Services on any campus.

  • When can I work off campus?

Students with an F-1 visa may only work off campus if approved by the USCIS. All OPT and CPT applications should be processed in the ISS Office. Students applying for either OPT or CPT must have maintained their visa status for a minimum of one academic year.

  • Do I need a Social Security Number? How do I get one? Where is the Office?

No.  However, any international student who is approved for employment must apply for a Social Security number before the first day on the job. Students will need to visit the Office of International Student Services for assistance with the Social Security application once an on-campus job offer is received.  

The Tulsa-based Social Security Administration Office is located at 4750 S Garnett Rd. The telephone number is (918) 641-2400. For more information visit: .

  • Do I need to pay taxes?

It depends on the amount you earned. Employed non-immigrants are expected to file federal income taxes. In addition, International students should request a "FICA Exemption Form" from Human Resources. As an international student, you are not required to pay Medicare or Social Security Taxes. If you do not complete the form, these taxes will be deducted from your check automatically. For more information visit:

  • Can my spouse on an F-2 be employed? 

Federal regulations prohibit employment of anyone on an F-2 dependent visa. They should NOT work under any circumstances.

  • What documents do I need to apply for a driver's license in Oklahoma?

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety requires students to present a passport, I-20, and a second form of identification. If an I-20 is marked as "pending," it will also be accepted. The second form of identification may be your TCC student ID or an out-of-country license (or ID).

  • Where can I get a driver's license or Oklahoma ID Card?

3190 West 21st Street, Tulsa OK  74107               Monday-Friday                 918 428-4030

1635 South Main, Broken Arrow, OK  74012          Monday-Friday                 918 259-0764

(Oak Crest Shopping Center)

  • What do I do if I am not in status?

Depending on the actual circumstances, when a student is determined to be "Out of Status," the usual consequence is that the I-20 is terminated (or cancelled) in the SEVIS system. Once the I-20 is terminated, if the student is eligible, he or she should file a request to be "reinstated to F-1 status" so that they may legally remain in the U.S. and continue their studies.  Reinstatement should be done as soon as possible after the status violation to avoid any problems with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Reinstatement is costly and it stays on the immigration record permanently and does affect eligibility to apply for certain immigration benefits such as being authorized to work. The ISS Office will advise you and provide you with the proper forms. In very serious cases, you may need to contact an immigration attorney.

  • I'm not graduating by the last day of my I-20 program date. Can I extend it?

TCC students may apply for an extension in the Office of International Student Services before the program completion date. You must have maintained your visa status, and should be able to provide evidence that the delay was caused by a credible academic or medical reason.

  • What are my options after graduating?

Graduates have 60 days to arrange one of three options. First, you may decide to transfer to another institution. Secondly, you may apply for Optional Practical Training (The ISS Office recommends students apply 90 days in advance of graduation). Thirdly, you may leave the U.S. and return to your home country.

  • I will be traveling home for a vacation. What do I need to do?

Before you travel, please confirm the signature on page three of your I-20 is current. The travel signature is good for one academic year.   Call the ISS Office at 918-595-7478 and confirm someone is available to provide you with an updated travel signature. 

Other recommended steps:  

i)        Before your departure, enroll in classes for the next semester and carry a copy of your schedule while you travel and re-enter.

ii)       Confirm your passport is valid for a minimum of six or more months into the future before it expires.

iii)     Have a valid F-1 visa upon re-entry into the U.S. If it has expired, you will need to renew it at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country before returning. 

iv) Immigration and Customs Enforcement is now suggesting you carry a copy of your receipt for the initial SEVIS I-901 fee.

  •  I lost my I-94 card, how can I get a new one?

The Customs and Border Protection Office is located in Tulsa at 2222 N. Cargo Road (near the airport). Telephone: 918-832-4130. The CBP can assist you with the following I-94 card problems:

i)        Filing the I-102 form for a lost I-94 card. They can't issue you a new one, but they can help you speed up the process.

ii)       A missing entry stamp on your I-20.

iii)     Getting you an I-94 if you did not receive one at your initial port of entry in the U.S.

iv)     Electronic record errors on your I-94 card. These errors include your name, date of birth, passport number and visa classification.

v)      Status errors on your I-94.

  • I lost my I-20, how can I get a new one?

Please contact the ISS Office as soon as you notice your I-20 is missing. A new I-20 will be issued to you after you report the reason why it is missing.

  • Do I need a visa to visit Canada?

Please refer to for a list of nations whose citizens are required to apply for a visa when visiting Canada. 

  • Can I renew my visa in Canada?

Renewing your visa in Mexico or Canada may or may not be permitted.  It is best for you to apply for a visa renewal in the country of your nationality. Please refer to the following web site for more information on visa renewal in Mexico or Canada:

  • How do I renew my passport?

It is the responsibility of each student to renew his or her passport before it expires. Federal law requires passport validity to be six or more months beyond the date of expiration. You may consult the following website  for quick access to embassy contact information for your nation based in the U.S. and begin the renewal process.

  • What is the best way to get involved on campus?

The ISS Office strongly supports the International Student Support Coalition and recommends international students attend the weekly ISSC meetings. Additional on-campus opportunities are often announced during ISSC meetings.  

  • How does college life in the U.S. differ from college life in my home country? 

Instructors usually expect classroom participation and want students to respond with originality. Homework will generally require extensive amounts of reading and your written assignments that quote someone else's work must be supported with a full list of citations. Colleges encourage toleration of diverse personal values, which may require some cultural adjustment. 

  •   What is the current estimated cost per credit hour for nonresident tuition and fees?

The current estimated cost per credit hour, including nonresident tuition and fees, is $304. This includes tuition ($257.03 per credit hour) and fees per credit hour (approximately $47). The estimate is subject to change without notice.