Recently, the Education Access Center and the Resource Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing were merged into one department named Accessibility Resources (AR). The focus of the Accessibility Resources department is to determine appropriate accommodations and support services for students with disabilities while they journey through their chosen academic degree pathways.
In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the College is mandated to provide an accessible and inclusive educational environment for students with disabilities in all TCC activities, events and programs. TCC has designated Accessibility Resources as the only department that can determine accommodations for qualifying students with disabilities.
It is the responsibility of TCC faculty and staff to refer students requesting accommodations to the Accessibility Resources staff who are located on each TCC campus. Students requesting accommodations should complete the online “Accommodation Request Form” in a timely manner. Students and staff who are deaf-or-hard of hearing requesting communication accommodations should also complete the online “Interpreter/Captionist Form” or email email@example.com. Forms, as well as staff contact information, are located on TCC’s Accessibility Resources webpage (www.tulsacc.edu/ar).
Accommodations and support services are determined on a case-by-case basis through an interactive discussion between the student and an AR Academic Counselor. For more information about requesting accommodations, please direct students to the Accessibility Resources web page (www.tulsacc.edu/ar). Employees requesting accommodations should contact Human Resources. TCC students and employees may also request a temporary parking permit through the Accessibility Resource staff located on each campus.
Listed are some examples of accommodations and support services offered to students with disabilities and faculty by Accessibility Resources:
College-Wide Student Support
- Academic enrollment guidance
- Access to computer labs equipped with assistive technology
- Assistive technology training
- Communication access (interpreters, captionist, assistive listening devices, digital recorders)
- Exam administration (oral and/or scribe)
- Extended time exams in a reduced distraction environment
- Faculty notification about a student's accommodations and support services
- Provision of carbonized note-taker paper for classroom volunteer note-takers
- Referrals to TCC resources designed to assist students with academic challenges and personal well-being
- Referrals to scholarships and important financial aid information for students with disabilities
- Provide post-secondary education accessibility and disability presentations and workshops to TCC departments, community agencies and area high school special education programs
- Special seating
- Tutoring specifically designed for students with disabilities
College-Wide Faculty Support
The Faculty Student Success Liaison Program (FSSL) is coordinated by Associate Professor Kathy Daily. This new program is designed for a faculty member to partner with other faculty to assist with integrating universal design learning strategies into their curriculum to support students with disabilities or those who are experiencing academic challenges. It is the vital connection between Academic Affairs and Student Affairs that provides another opportunity for students to successfully complete their academic degree pathways. For an appointment, faculty can contact Associate Professor Kathy Daily at (918) 595-8615 or Kathy.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to contact Accessibility Resources if you have any questions regarding student accommodations or support services.