Types of Aid

The first question you may ask yourself as you begin your journey toward a college degree is “how am I going to pay for my education?” There are many types of financial aid available to support you along the way.

  • Federal Work-Study: allows you to work and earn money for school expenses
  • Grants: financial aid that you do not have to pay back
  • Loans: borrowed money that must be repaid with interest
  • Scholarships: financial aid that you do not have to pay back

The types and amounts of aid awarded are determined by financial need, availability of funds, student classification and academic performance.

Federal Requirements

The Higher Education Act of 1965 established the rules under which all federal aid is administered. As amended, the Higher Education Act requires that each recipient of funds under the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant, Stafford Student Loans, or PLUS programs maintain satisfactory progress in his/her course of study. The financial aid policy does not prevent a recipient from continuing to enroll as a student or to receive other types of financial aid.

According to the guidelines set forth by the Department of Education, students who start college for the first time after July 1, 2012, must have a high school diploma or an official equivalent to a high school diploma, such as GED certificate, in order to receive financial aid at the institution that he/she is attending. You will need to submit official, final high school transcripts as proof of graduation from high school to any TCC Enrollment Services office. If you completed high school through a home-school setting, you must submit official transcripts with a graduation date, as well as ACT scores (either national or residual scores.)