HEERF III Grant FAQ
The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) of 2020 and the American Rescue Plan (ARP) of 2021 established and funded the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) which provides emergency financial aid grants to help eligible students cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations.
TCC received funding from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) as part of the federal response to the COVID-19 public health emergency. This law provides emergency financial aid grants to help eligible students cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations. Initially, TCC is providing grants to students to assist with meeting their direct educational costs, tuition and fees.
HEERF III grant funds began to be awarded to eligible students in August 2021 with the first disbursement of HEERF III grant funds planned to take place in September 2021.
TCC's Financial Aid and Scholarships Office has created the FAQ below to help answer common students questions about the HEERF III grant.
Financial Aid HEERF III Grant - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is my HEERF III grant amount based on the number of classes I’m taking?
A: No. If you are enrolled at TCC, your award will not change based on how many credit hours you are enrolled in.
2. If I am on Financial Aid suspension, will I still receive my HEERF III grant?
A: Yes. HEERF III funds are available to students who are on financial aid suspension, warning, or approved for a submitted appeal.
3. I am not enrolled in classes and now it is too late to enroll. Will I still receive the HEERF III grant?
A: Please consult with your academic advisor about your enrollment; if you are enrolled before the end of the 16-week add/drop period you may be eligible for a HEERF III award. We also have classes starting in October and expect HEERF awards to be available for the Spring 2022 semester as well.
4. I submitted the HEERF III Grant Authorization form and I think I completed it wrong. How can I fix that?
A: Send an email to TCCFinancialAid@tulsacc.edu with the subject line “HEERF3 Correction Information” and indicate what information may need to be updated. The financial aid staff will review your request. If the form needs to be changed, you will see it requested again in your 2021-2022 Financial Aid Dashboard, You will be able to resubmit the form with the correct answers.
5. I am enrolled at another school as well as at TCC. Both schools are offering me the HEERF III grant. Will I get them both?
A: No. If you are receiving financial aid at another school, you should receive all aid at that school. If you have further questions, please send a message to financial aid at TCCFinancialAid@tulsacc.edu with the subject line: “Consortium enrollment – HEERF3” and explain your situation.
6. I denied the authorization on my HEERF III Grant Application form. Will I still get the grant?
A: Your HEERF award was made for tuition assistance for the Fall 2021 term. If your tuition and fees are being paid from other sources, you will receive a refund. If you need to update your authorization, please submit a new form to the financial aid office.
7. I answered No to the Changes in Financial Situation question on the HEERF III Grant Application. Will I still get the HEERF III grant funds?
A: Yes. The question on the form under “Changes to Financial Situation” is for informational purposes ONLY, so that TCC Financial Aid can identify students who may need assistance. Your answer on this question will NOT affect your HEERF III grant amount or whether you receive the HEERF III grant.
8. Will I be able to use this grant for bookstore charges?
A: The HEERF III grant cannot currently be used to authorize book charges at the TCC bookstore, however if you have charged books and supplies at the bookstore to other types of aid, the HEERF III grant CAN be used to cover these charges if you authorized disbursement on the HEERF III authorization form. If you did not authorize disbursement and wish to change this decision, please follow the instructions in the answer to Question 4 in this FAQ.
9. I submitted a paper copy of the HEERF III Grant Application form because I was having problems submitting it online. Will it be processed?
A: Yes, we will review those forms and update your student file. Please note the original issue has been resolved and you should now be able to submit the form through your 2021-2022 Financial Aid dashboard if you have not done so already.
10. Will receiving a HEERF III grant affect my Tulsa Achieves award?
A: Tulsa Achieves funding will NOT be reduced for the HEERF III grant. If Tulsa Achieves or other funding is covering your balance and you authorized disbursement on the HEERF III Grant Application, the HEERF III grant will be refunded to you.
11. Why am I getting this money?
A: TCC received funding from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) as part of the federal response to the COVID-19 public health emergency. This law provides emergency financial aid grants to help eligible students cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations. Initially, TCC is providing grants to students to assist with meeting their direct educational costs, tuition and fees.
12. I was awarded a HEERF III grant, but my Federal Pell grant covered my tuition. Do I have to repay the HEERF III grant?
A: No. Your HEERF III emergency grant award does NOT need to be repaid. If your tuition has been paid by your Pell Grant, you will receive a refund to your Bank Mobile account.
13. Will I have enough award funds to get a refund?
A: If the amount of your financial aid (including HEERF III grant funds) exceeds the charges on your student account, you will receive a refund to your Bank Mobile account.
14. What is the process to sign up for a refund of funds that I may have received from financial aid?
A: Tulsa Community College has partnered with BankMobile to deliver your financial aid refund. Learn more at: BankMobile Refund Choices. If you have questions about the refund process, the TCC Bursar’s office can also assist you. You can visit them in person on any TCC campus or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
15. I am a student who is not yet a current citizen of the U.S. I am a DREAMER. May I apply to receive a HEERF Grant award?
A: Yes! TCC will have more information soon about HEERF III funding for students who are not able to submit a FAFSA.
16. What if I am in default on my federal student loans?
A: Although a defaulted federal student loan status will prevent students from receiving most types of Federal Student Aid, it will NOT prevent students from receiving HEERF III grant funds. However, students must complete the process of filing a 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and complete the HEERF grant application. If you have not already done so, we recommend you submit the FAFSA in preparation for possible future awarding of additional HEERF III funding.
17. My HEERF award will exceed the amount I owe for my tuition and fees. May I use my refund to cover daycare or transportation costs?
18. I've decided to go to school full-time this semester. What is the maximum Federal Pell grant amount that I can be awarded, and what are the qualifications? My EFC is $0.
A: For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, maximum Federal Pell grant for a $0 EFC student that is enrolled full time is $6,495. (You would need to be enrolled full time for 2 semesters to receive this amount.) If your EFC is higher than zero or you are not enrolled full time, your Federal Pell award will be different. If you qualified for grants, you can see the awarded amounts in your 2021-2022 Financial Aid dashboard. Please read the Terms & Conditions in Step 3 of your Financial Aid dashboard for more information. You can also read more about Pell Grant eligibility on TCC’s Financial Aid Policy page - https://www.tulsacc.edu/admissions-aid/aid/financial-aid/financial-aid-policies under the Pell Grant link.
19. I need a laptop for classes. What do I do?
A: TCC may be able to help. Visit the laptop lending program page at https://tulsacc.libwizard.com/f/HLLP for more information.
TCC laptops and hotspots are very limited resources. As most students will need a reliable computer for their courses, we recommend that you purchase a computer or laptop out of your refund if you do not already have one. HEERF III Grant refunds CAN be used towards computer purchases.
20. Is the HEERF award a grant or loan?
A: The HEERF III Grant is NOT a loan. It is grant funding and does not need to be paid back.
21. I tried to submit my HEERF III Authorization form electronically from MyTCC, but I got an error message when I tried to submit. What do I do?
A: This typically happens when a student is trying to submit via mobile, has poor internet service, or both. Try to resubmit using a different device, from a different location, or using a different browser. Usually, the form submission goes through without error.