Pass/No Pass Grade Option for Spring 2020
What is Pass/No Pass grading?
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the possible effects on students, TCC is adopting an additional grading option for the spring 2020 semester. Pass/No Pass grading is an optional grading method that students may choose to use this semester. Students who earn a grade of D or higher at the end of the spring 2020 semester may request to change their grade to Pass. Students who earn a grade of F will automatically have their grade changed to NP or No Pass. Both Pass and No Pass are GPA neutral and give students the opportunity to successfully complete a class with no penalty to GPA, thus relieving some academic pressure as students adapt to a remote environment.
To ensure academic success, students should CAREFULLY consider whether to use the Pass/No Pass grading option. Depending on the student, the decision could impact academic status, Tulsa Achieves eligibility, Financial Aid eligibility, or transfer to a four-year university.
Pass/No Pass may be a good option if…
- You are struggling with the transition to online learning.
- You do not need to boost your GPA to be more competitive for admission to applicant programs/majors, visit with your academic advisor for more information.
- You have a special circumstance that prevents you from performing to your typical standards.
Pass/No Pass may NOT be a good option if…
- You feel your current course grade will raise your GPA.
- You are looking to boost your GPA to be more competitive for admission to an applicant program.
- You are repeating a course where you are looking to replace a D or lower with a better grade.
- A Pass/No Pass grade does not impact your GPA.
- A grade of No Pass earns zero credits.
- Students may choose the Pass option for any spring 2020 course ending after March 22, 2020.
- All students earning a grade of F will have the F changed to No Pass automatically.
- If students wish to keep their grade of F instead of No Pass, they must submit their request using the Pass/No Pass grade change form. A grade of F negatively impacts GPA.
- Students who arrange with their instructor for an Incomplete (I) will have choice of selecting Pass/No Pass seven days following the faculty member's posting of the A–F grade.
- Veteran’s benefits may be affected by Pass/No Pass.
- Tulsa Achieves students are required to earn a minimum of 3 credits each semester. A grade of Pass counts as earned credit, but No Pass does not count as earned credit.
- If you are considering transferring to a university, most Oklahoma colleges are following similar guidelines to TCC, however, there could be differences within departments. Please contact your academic advisor with questions.
- If you are on Financial Aid(including Tulsa Achieves), please review the information below on how the Pass/No Pass may impact your Financial Aid status.
- The letter grades of P and NP will be GPA neutral when determining a student’s satisfactory academic progress for financial aid. Additionally, as a result of a qualifying emergency (COVID-19), TCC will exclude from the quantitative component of the SAP calculation any attempted credit hours that were not completed by the student. If TCC receives guidance from the Department of Education beyond what we’ve currently received, we will communicate any changes to students. Contact a Financial Aid Counselor with questions. Email email@example.com with questions.
- If you are currently on financial aid warning or probation and would like to discuss your specific situation, please email the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Financial Aid Counselor will be in contact with you.
How do I initiate the Pass/No Pass grade request?
- Login to MyTCC
- Click the Student Home tab
- In the Quick Links box at the top left, click the Pass/No Pass Grade Change Form – Spring 2020 link
- Complete the form and submit
Students will receive a confirmation email upon submission of the form and will receive a second email when the grade change is complete.
All students earning a grade of F in courses ending after March 22, 2020 will have the F automatically changed to NP. Students who wish to retain the grade of F will need to submit the request by using the Pass/No Pass form in MyTCC.
When will I need to submit the request?
Students will need to wait until their semester grade is posted to submit the Pass/No Pass request. All students, including those in shorter part-of-term courses will have until May 20, 2020, or 7 days after grades are posted for 16-week classes to submit their request.
The Pass/No Pass form will be available in MyTCC from May 13–20.
Note: Students in classes ending between March 22 and May 1 may submit the form prior to May 13, but no later than May 20.
- For course or final grade-related questions, please contact your professor.
- For financial aid related questions, email email@example.com.
- For veteran’s benefits related questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- For all other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which grades qualify for Pass/No Pass?
Courses with a final grade of A, B, C, or D qualify students to request a change to Pass.
Courses with a final grade of F will automatically change to No Pass (NP) after grades are posted. Students in special circumstances may wish to change their NP grade back to F and may do so using the same form.
Will I be able to use Pass grades for competitive applicant program admission?
All courses taken in Spring 2020 that are required prerequisites for Allied Health and Nursing programs will be accepted with a Pass (P) on the transcript. However, courses with a Pass (P) recorded on the transcript will not be awarded any points on the application ranking sheet.
How does the Pass/No Pass grade impact GPA?
Both Pass (P) and No Pass (NP) are GPA neutral.
How will the Pass/No Pass grade impact financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP)?
The letter grades of P and NP will be GPA neutral when determining a student’s satisfactory academic progress for financial aid. Additionally, as a result of a qualifying emergency (COVID-19), TCC will exclude from the quantitative component of the SAP calculation any attempted credit hours that were not completed by the student. If TCC receives guidance from the Department of Education beyond what we’ve currently received, we will communicate any changes to students. Contact a Financial Aid Counselor with questions. Email TCCFinancialAid@tulsacc.edu with questions.
Will Pass/No Pass impact Veterans benefits?
For Developmental Education or zero-level courses, will a grade of Pass meet the prerequisite requirement for the next level course?
For other course prerequisites, will a grade of Pass meet the prerequisite requirement?
Yes, unless specified otherwise by the specific program area.
Will the Pass/No Pass impact my degree plan?
Yes, a grade of No Pass (NP) will not earn credit and the course must be repeated. A grade of Pass (P) will earn credit for the course and will be used toward degree completion.
For repeated courses, does a Pass/No Pass replace the previous grade.
Yes, and they will be GPA neutral.
What if I earn a grade of Incomplete (I) and after I complete the assigned coursework, I want to change my grade to Pass/No Pass?
Students will be sent the Pass/No Pass form from the Records office as soon as the Incomplete (I) grade change form is submitted. Grades of F assigned after an I grade will be changed to NP for Spring 2020 courses only. Students with I grades will be given the same opportunity to change their grades as all other students who are assigned grades at the end of the Spring 2020 semester.