Why do we have to make Information and Communication Technology (ICT) ADA accessible?
Why do we have to make Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Accessible?
- It is the Law under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA Titles II & III); the Rehabilitation Act (sections 501,504 & 508).
- We accept federal funding. When out of compliance, we risk losing federal funding and accreditation.
- An institution's accreditation ensures students of a high level of educational quality and differentiates schools that uphold consistent academic standards from those who do not.
- The U.S Dept. of Education requires Higher Ed to comply.
- Remaining compliant with Federal law avoids lawsuits and helps to maintain a respectable reputation with students, the public and academia.
- Having to add accessibility may be:
- Time consuming,
- Impossible. Requires starting over.
- Making ICT accessible makes it more accessible for all.