Transfer Credit Evaluation and Prior Learning Assessment
Transferring in and Evaluation of Course Work
Transcripts of record from colleges or universities accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) will be given full value. Transcripts of record from degree-granting institutions accredited by organizations other than the HLC and recognized by the US Department of Education are subject to review and may transfer on a course-by-course basis. You should work closely with our Academic Advisement Office to ensure you understand the process thoroughly.
- Submit transcripts by mail, or electronically through a third party vendors. (See Electronic Transcript Policy for details)
- Transfer students should visit with an Academic Advisor for first-semester enrollment and placement into college courses; until a thorough transcript evaluation is completed (note: unofficial transcripts can be submitted to Academic Advising for placement purposes)
- Students who are applying for special admissions to a program should send in all transcripts well in advance of the program application deadline.
- Students transferring from non-accredited institutions can request a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) of their record (see below for details).
Earn College Credit with Prior Learning Assessment
Do you have experience in the workplace? Have you earned certificates for successfully completing training programs? Have you taken an exam such as CLEP or AP? Do you have military experience?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, you may be eligible for Prior Learning Assessment Credit!
Tulsa Community College currently awards credit for the following types of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA):
Types of Possible Credit
- Advanced Placement
- College-Level Examination Program
- Current Licensure or Certification
- Dantes Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support
- Experiential Learning/Portfolio Evaluation
- Institutional (Departmental) Exams
- International Baccalaureate Program
- Military Experience
- National College Credit Recommendation Service
- Previously Awarded Extra-Institutional Credit
The combination of prior learning assessment (advanced standing) credit and college transfer credit for a degree or certificate at Tulsa Community College may not exceed 75% of the total credit hours required for graduation.
Submit official documentation/scores/transcripts/licensure to the Academic Advising office on any campus.
Advanced Placement Program (AP)
|Test Name||Score 3||Score 4||Score 5|
|Art History||ART 1053||ART 1053||ART 1053|
|Biology||BIOL 1114||BIOL 1224||BIOL 1224|
|Calculus (AB)||MATH 2114||MATH 2114||MATH 2114|
|Calculus (BC)||MATH 2114, 2124||MATH 2114, 2124||MATH 2114, 2124|
|Chemistry||CHEM 1315||CHEM 1315, 1415||CHEM 1315, 1415|
|Chinese Language and Culture||CHNS 1103, 1213||CHNS 1103, 1213||CHNS 1103, 1213|
|Computer Science (A)||CSYS 1203||CSYS 1203||CSYS 1203|
|Computer Science Principles||No Credit||No Credit||No Credit|
|Macroeconomics||ECON 2013||ECON 2013||ECON 2013|
|Microeconomics||ECON 2023||ECON 2023||ECON 2023|
|English Language and Composition||ENGL 1113||ENGL 1113, 1213||ENGL 1113, 1213|
|English Literature and Composition||ENGL 1113||ENGL 1113, 1213||ENGL 1113, 1213|
|European History||HIST 1053, 1063||HIST 1053, 1063||HIST 1053, 1063|
|French Language and Culture||FREN 1103, 1213||FREN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413||FREN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413, 2113|
|German Language and Culture||GRMN 1103, 1213||GRMN 1103, 1213||GRMN 1103, 1213|
|Comparative Government and Politics||POLS 2013||POLS 2013||POLS 2013|
|United States Government and Politics||POLS 1113||POLS 1113||POLS 1113|
|Human Geography||GEOG 1043||GEOG 1043||GEOG 1043|
|Italian Language and Culture||ITAL 1103, 1213||ITAL 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413||ITAL 1103, 1213 1313, 1413|
|Japanese Language and Culture||JAPN 1103, 1213||JAPN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413||JAPN 1103, 1213 1313, 1413, 2113|
|Latin||LATN 1103, 1213||LATN 1103, 1213||LATN 1103, 1213|
|Music Theory||No Credit; refer to B below||No Credit; refer to B below||No Credit; refer to B below|
|Physics 1||PHYS 1114||PHYS 1114, 1214||PHYS 1114, 1214|
|Physics 2||PHYS 1114||PHYS 1114, 1214||PHYS 1114, 1214|
|Physics C – Electricity and Magnetism||PHYS 2034||PHYS 2034, 2124||PHYS 2034, 2124|
|Physics C- Mechanics||PHYS 2034||PHYS 2034||PHYS 2034|
|Psychology||PSYC 1113||PSYC 1113||PSYC 1113|
|Spanish Language and Culture||SPAN 1103, 1213||SPAN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413||SPAN 1103, 1213 1313, 1413, 2113|
|Spanish Literature and Culture||SPAN 1103, 1213||SPAN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413||SPAN 1103, 1213 1313, 1413, 2113|
|Statistics||MATH 2193||MATH 2193||MATH 2193|
|Studio Art - Drawing||Refer to A below||Refer to A below||Refer to A below|
|Studio Art- 2D Design||Refer to AA below||Refer to AA below||Refer to AA below|
|Studio Art- 3D Design||Refer to A below||Refer to A below||Refer to A below|
|United States History||HIST 1483, 1493||HIST 1483, 1493||HIST 1483, 1493|
|World History||HIST 1073||HIST 1073||HIST 1073|
|Research||No Credit||No Credit||No Credit|
|Seminar||No Credit||No Credit||No Credit|
- A Art Majors, 3D Studio Art, or Drawing credit, Refer student to Academic Advising. Art Faculty will review and award credit based on major.
- AA Effective Spring 2015: Non Art Majors- 2D Design- Award ART 1013. Art Majors- Refer student to Academic Advising.
- B For placement in advanced theory classes, students should contact the music faculty advisor at (918) 595-7752.
CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
CLEP, the College-Level Examination Program, is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the country. CLEP examinations allow a person to demonstrate knowledge that has been acquired through independent study, academic interests, or on-the-job training. CLEP may entitle an individual to earn from three to six hours of college credit for each test passed; with the exception of the College Spanish Language. Please see link below to determine the number of credits that may be awarded.
Currently, there are 1,300 CLEP test centers located throughout the world. TCC is pleased to be a part of the CLEP family, providing service to students and the community. Each college sets its own policy regarding how much credit and for what courses credit will be given. Before registering for the CLEP, it is the examinee's responsibility to find out the following information:
- Does the college you are reporting the scores to recognize CLEP exams?
- What score is needed to receive credit(s)?
- Are there additional requirements before credit is granted?
The Official Study Guide for the CLEP Examinations contains descriptions of all CLEP exams, sample exam questions and answers, test preparation in every subject, test-taking strategies and general information about CLEP.
The Guide may be purchased through The College Board by calling 1.800.323.7155. Cost is $25 plus postage (approximately $30.99). Old textbooks may also come in handy as a review for exams. Also, you may view The College Board website for CLEP preparation for more information. Remember, CLEP is the opportunity to earn credit for what you already know.
Pre-registration and payment must be completed online at CLEP. Once payment and registration are completed, bring the voucher to the Testing Center to take your exam.
Administration of CLEP exams are done on a walk-in basis and is based on computer availability*. Effective July 1, 2014, one form of government-issued identification will be acceptable for CLEP test-takers. A secondary form of ID will no longer be required. The primary identification must be valid and current, must bear the test-taker’s full name in English language characters, and must contain a photograph and a signature. Upon check-in at the Testing Center, the examinee must present a primary photo ID (i.e., driver's license, passport, state id, etc.) to be eligible to take the exam. A copy of the photo ID will be made and kept on file in the Testing Center. Please refer to the CLEP site for all acceptable forms of identification.
*IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CALL IN ADVANCE TO CHECK ON COMPUTER AVAILABILITY BEFORE YOU COME TO CAMPUS FOR CLEP TESTING. Please note that we will not begin a CLEP exam less than 2 hours prior to closing time (3 hours for the College Composition Modular exam).
Northeast Campus: (918) 595-7534, Academic/Administration Building, Room 1201
Current and Former TCC Students - $80 per exam ($80 as of July 1, 2012)
- $80 – payments are made online as part of the pre-registration process. (Fee increase may be implemented by CLEP).
Non-TCC Students - $105 per exam ($105 as of July 1, 2012)
- $80 - payment made online to CLEP. (Fee increase may be implemented by CLEP).
- $25 - Separate payment to TCC for processing fee paid at the Testing Center (i.e., cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card accepted).
All CLEP examinations are available to take through the Northeast Campus Testing Center.
Current Licensure or Certification
|CDA Credential||CHLD 2203, CHLD 2213|
|CLEET (Criminal Justice)||Determined by Faculty|
|Emergency Medical Technician||EMSP 1119|
|Paramedic||EMSP 2115, EMSP 2129, EMSP 2214, EMSP 2229, EMSP 2314, EMSP 2325|
|Radiography||Determined by Faculty|
First Aid Certification
|Fire Services||Determined by Faculty|
|Private Pilot License||AVST 1113 and AVST 1222|
|LPN/Paramedic Career Mobility Track||Determined by Faculty|
CISCO 100-105 ICND1
|Cisco 200-105 ICND2||ITCV 2203|
|Cisco 200-125 CCNA||ITCV 2033 & ITCV 2203|
|CompTIA Security + SY0-401||CSYS 2493|
|A+ certification (exams 220-801 and 220-802)||CSCI 2143, CSYS 2023|
|Network+ (exam N10-006)||CSCI 1263|
|First of 3 exams toward MCSA (MCP Microsoft Certified Professional exam 70-410)||CSYS 2063|
Society of Human Resources Management - Senior Certified Partner (SCP)
DSST (Dantes Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support)
- TCC does not accept General Exams.
- Note: Official test scores must be submitted to the Office of Records and Student Completion Services at 909 S Boston Ave, Tulsa, OK 74119. TCC Equivalent course must be required for student's degree to be awarded.
|Dantes Exams||TCC Equivalent|
Business Ethics and Society
|BUSN 1143 Introduction to Ethics: Business Issues|
|Business Mathematics||BUSN 1353 Business Mathematics|
|Human Resource Management||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Introduction to Business||BUSN 1053 Introduction to Business|
|Computing and Information Technology||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Management Information Systems||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Money and Banking||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Organizational Behavior||MGMT 2323 Organizational Behavior|
|Personal Finance||ECON 1353 Personal Finance|
|Principles of Finance||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Principles of Supervision||Reviewed - No Credit|
|Principles of Financial Accounting (Exam no longer offered)||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Business Law II (Exam no longer offered)||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Ethics in America||PHIL 2133 Intro to Ethical Thinking or RELG 2233 Religion in America|
Introduction to World Religions
Principles of Advanced English Composition
|Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Principles of Public Speaking||COMM 1113 Public Speaking|
Math for Liberal Arts
Not Reviewed TCC Credit
|Fundamentals of College Algebra||MATH 1513 Precalculus I|
|Principles of Statistics||MATH 2193 Elementary Statistics|
|Physical Science Exams|
|Astronomy||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Environmental Science||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Health and Human Development||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Principles of Physical Science I||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Social Sciences Exams|
|A History of the Vietnam War||Reviewed - No Credit|
|Art of the Western World||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Criminal Justice||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Foundations of Education||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Fundamentals of Counseling||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|General Anthropology||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Human/Cultural Geography||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Introduction to Law Enforcement||CRIM 1013 Introduction to Criminal Justice|
|Lifespan Developmental Psychology||PSYC 2023 Developmental Psychology|
|History of the Soviet Union||Reviewed - No Credit|
|Substance Abuse||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|The Civil War and Reconstruction||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Fundamentals of Cybersecurity||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Computing and Information Technology||CSCI 1203 Computer Concepts and Applications|
|Introductory to College Algebra (exam no longer offered)||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Math for Liberal Arts||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Environmental Science||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Principles Advanced English Comp||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Personal Human Resource Management (exam no longer offered)||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
|Intro to Modern Middle East (exam no longer offered)||Not reviewed for TCC Credit|
Experiential Learning/Portfolio Evaluation]
Not available at this time. The institution is currently working with the Council on Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) to develop this process.
For more information concerning Experiential learning, please contact the Academic School.
Advanced Standing- Departmental Exams (Credit by Exam)
Currently or previously enrolled students who feel they are qualified for prior learning credit by examination in a discipline not offered or administered through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) may choose to attempt to establish credit through a departmental examination.
The departmental examinations are written and scored by TCC faculty and are intended to measure competence for establishing credit comparable to what would be required if the student took the course at TCC. A score equivalent to a grade of "C" shall be the cutoff score.
Students seeking these examinations should inquire at any campus Advisement/Testing Center at the beginning of the semester. Students may be required to have approval for the examination from the Faculty Department Chair for that subject.
Credit for the Exam
- The student must be a current or former TCC student; however, the student cannot be enrolled in the same course that he/she is testing, except during the drop/add period.
- Credit earned through prior learning examinations does not count in the number of hours enrolled during the semester of the exam; nor will it count toward the GPA.
- Credit will be recorded with a grade of "S" if the student passes the exam. No grade is recorded if the student fails the exam.
- Once the examination is given to the student, whether passed or failed, there is no refund of fees.
Fee: Current or Former TCC Students Only - $5 per credit hour
Registration and Testing Sites
- Metro Campus, Room 1018, (918) 595-7010
- Northeast Campus, Room 1201 (Academic Building) (918) 595-7534
- Southeast Campus, Room 4231, (918) 595-7693
- West Campus, Room I-104, (918) 595-8181
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
Only courses taken at the "Higher Level" and subject specific with a minimum score of "4" will be considered. Credit awarded should be determined from the charts below. For any additional exams, please refer to your Academic Advisor.
|Test Name||Minimum Score||TCC Equivalent|
|Chemistry||4||CHEM 1315, 1415|
|English A Literature||4||ENGL 2413|
|English A Language and Literature||4||ENGL 1113|
|English A Language and Literature||5||ENGL 1113 and ENGL 1213|
|Language B: French||4||FREN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413|
|Language B: Spanish||4||SPAN 1103, 1213, 1313, 1413|
|Language B: German||4||GRMN 1103 and GRMN 1213|
|Language B: Latin||4||LATN 1103 and LATN 1213|
|Physics||4||PHYS 2034, 2124|
|Business Management||No Credit||N/A|
|Sports, Exercise and Health Science||No Credit||N/A|
|Global Politics||4||POLS 2203|
|Social and Cultural Anthropology||No Credit||N/A|
|Computer Science||No Credit||N/A|
|Info Technology in a Global Society||No Credit||N/A|
|Further Mathematics||No Credit||N/A|
- JST (Joint Services Transcript) - Army, Marine Corps, Navy (after 10/2013)
- AARTS- Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript (Prior to 11/2013)
- SMART- Sailor/Marine/ACE Registry Transcript (Prior to 11/2013)
- Prior to AARTS and SMART- DD 214 or DD 295 (Prior to 1979)
- Department of Defense and Coast Guard- appropriate transcript
Credit for military training will only be awarded for similar coursework offered by TCC. ACE recommended credit hours must be equal to or greater than the equivalent course offered by TCC.
National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS)
NCCRS credit will be reviewed on a course-by-course basis. The exam must be course specific. Any request for PLA for coursework completed and recognized by NCCRS will be forwarded to the academic school for faculty evaluation.
Students requesting credit will need to provide the following:
- A copy of the original transcribed course or training
- A letter requesting the credit and identifying the course(s)
- A copy of the recommendation from NCCRS