Honors Program Requirements
There are many ways to participate in the Honors Program at Tulsa Community College. While some students opt to enter and complete the Honors Scholar program, it is possible for any interested student to take Honors classes. Students who enjoy Honors classes but can't complete the full Honors Scholar program may work toward receiving the Honors Certificate.
What is the difference between being an Honors Scholar and graduating "with honors"?
Honors Scholars have applied for and been accepted into the Honors Program, taken Honors classes, and fulfilled the other requirements of the Honors Program. As a result, they are eligible for Honors Foundation Awards, a variety of specially designated scholarships, recognition, and Honors travel opportunities. Graduating with honors means a student has achieved a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Of course, a graduating Honors Scholar would automatically graduate "with honors," but not everyone graduating with honors has achieved the standing of "Honors Scholar."
Requirements to enter the Honors Scholar program
To become an Honors Scholar, you must complete an application. This includes writing a short personal essay on a topic chosen from the list on the application, and submitting a letter of recommendation from a teacher. The application is completely online (see "Honors Applications").
You may apply for admission to the Honors Program at any time, but we encourage you to apply as early as possible in your time at TCC, to take full advantage of the program's benefits. Honors classes you have taken before you are admitted to the program do apply toward Honors Scholar requirements. You must meet all program requirements by the time you graduate, regardless of when you enter the program, in order to receive the Honors Scholar designation and its transfer benefits.
Successful applicants must meet any two of the following criteria:
- Composite ACT score of 25 or higher, or equivalent combined SAT score;
- High school grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- Ranking in the upper 10% of high school graduating class, or membership in high school honor society, or total score in the 90th percentile or higher on the GED exam;
- 3.5 minimum grade point average on a minimum of 12 hours at TCC or another institution of higher education with regional accreditation;
- Demonstration of special abilities or awards in writing or other significant projects;
- Completion of two TCC Honors courses with grades of A or B.
Requirements to graduate as an Honors Scholar
- Be admitted into the TCC Honors Scholar program.
- Complete 24 credit hours of Honors courses. Students may select any classes from the Honors curriculum, but at least 15 credit hours must be earned in general-education Honors classes. For a list of general-education classes at TCC, consult the current TCC Catalog [link: TCC Catalog on new TCC website]. Other limitations on online and repeatable classes also apply.*
Complete 21 credit hours* of Honors courses PLUS complete 30 clock hours of work on an approved service-learning project. The service-learning project must receive approval from the Honors Program Coordinator.
- In your final fall or spring semester, submit a three- to four-page written assessment of the Honors experience at TCC.
- Meet the requirements for the associate degree as stated in the TCC Catalog.
- Graduate with a TCC grade point average of at least 3.5.
*No student may count credit hours from any one repeatable or continuing Honors course more than twice in fulfilling minimum Honors credit requirements. A maximum of nine Honors hours earned in distance-learning or self-paced classes may be counted toward minimum Honors requirements. Students who transfer to TCC from other accredited institutions of higher education and have honors credit from their former school(s) should ask the TCC Honors coordinator to evaluate their transfer credits. The program may approve the use of up to 12 transfer honors hours in meeting the 24- or 21-hour Honors requirement at TCC.
Requirements for the Honors Certificate
If you complete at least 15 Honors credit hours* with a grade point average of at least 3.5 in all your Honors classes and an overall TCC GPA of at least 3.25, during your last semester at TCC you may register with the Honors Program to receive an Honors Certificate. For more information, call the Honors Office at (918) 595-7378.
*No student may count credit hours from any one repeatable or continuing Honors course more than twice in fulfilling minimum Honors credit requirements.
Note: The Honors Certificate does not entitle you to Honors Scholar transfer scholarships, transcript designation, or other Honors Scholar benefits.
Is Phi Theta Kappa the same thing as the Honors Scholar program?
No, but if you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa, you already meet at least one criterion for acceptance to the Honors Scholar program! The Honors Program and Phi Theta Kappa each have separate application procedures. We serve many of the same students, and the Honors Program highly encourages Honors Scholars to become involved in Phi Theta Kappa, a wonderful student organization that provides outstanding opportunities for leadership, research, and service. See the "News and Activities" page of our site.