Tulsa Achieves Volunteering
Tulsa Achieves and volunteer service go hand in hand, providing tuition-free education to graduating Tulsa County high school seniors and generating thousands of hours of volunteer work across the county. Students now have access to TCC: GivePulse, a volunteer platform designed to help TCC students connect with organizations in the area. To visit the database and browse for opportunities and events, just go to TCC GivePulse.
Tulsa Achieves Volunteer Requirements*
Things to know!
- For each academic year you begin as a Tulsa Achieves participant, you are required to perform 40 hours of volunteer service.
- The required 40 hours of volunteer service is not affected or changed by the amount of funding you receive.
- Service must be performed at a non-profit organization in Tulsa County and must provide a benefit to the community.
- Incomplete volunteer service will result in a transcript hold (more information below).
*Tulsa Achieves Exemption - PLEASE READ
Tulsa Achieves students are required to complete 40 hours of volunteer service for each academic year that they are in the program. Students are exempt from this requirement for the 2019-20 academic year due to the COVID-19 pandemic and limited volunteer opportunities. Any hours already completed for the 2019-20 academic year can be applied to a past or future year’s requirement. The 40 hours of volunteer service requirement resumes in Fall 2020. Any changes or updates to this policy will be announced on this TA webpage, in The Daily, and/or via personal email.
Reporting Volunteer Service
All Tulsa Achieves students have access to TCC: GivePulse. We do not accept paper documents for volunteer service verification. Only hours confirmed by the volunteer agency on TCC GivePulse will be considered. In order to have your volunteer service hours verified, please activate your account by going to tulsacc.givepulse.com, or by using the TCC Give Pulse link on MyTCC.
Activate your Give Pulse account! Your account has been created - you just need to activate it! Here's how:
- Go to tulsacc.givepulse.com (or use the TCC Give Pulse link on MyTCC).
- Click ‘Log in' on the top right hand side of the page.
- Click ‘Log in via Tulsa CC.'
- Enter your MyTCC password and "T" number.
- Verify information to activate the account.
Please see the Give Pulse Student Guide If you have questions about TCC: GivePulse!
Volunteer Service - what "counts"?
- Unpaid, uncompensated activities done at an eligible Tulsa County nonprofit organization (see below for activities which do NOT count)
- Service hours completed in or for a TCC Service-Learning course that meets all Tulsa Achieves guidelines
- Service that benefits the community in some way, not simply the organization at which the service is performed (for example, a food pantry at a church whose purpose is to serve members of the surrounding community)
Volunteer Service - what kind of service-based activities do NOT "count"?
- Internships, clinicals, fieldwork experiences, etc.
- Fostering animals
- Ministry/worship-based activities
- Service performed outside of Tulsa County
- Service performed at any for-profit business
- Service that only benefits the agency where it is performed
- Service for which compensation of any form is received
- Court-ordered community service
Volunteer Service Deadlines
Volunteer service for each academic year must be completed by August 1st. (For example, volunteer hours for the 2020-2021 academic year are due by August 1, 2021.) Transcript holds will be placed on all accounts for students who do not complete the minimum required service hours each year. A transcript hold prevents the student from obtaining a copy of the transcript until the volunteer service is completed. Incomplete volunteer service will not remove you from Tulsa Achieves "rolls," affect any funding to be received, or impact your ability to enroll at TCC.
Q: How many hours must I complete if I only attend one semester?
A: Forty (40) hours is required, even if you're only attending for one semester. Tulsa Achieves service is not divided by semester; a student is considered to be in the Program for the entire academic year.
Q: Can I volunteer for an organization that is not on TCC: Give Pulse?
A: Yes, as long as the opportunity and organization meet all Tulsa Achieves guidelines, it will be approved. You will need the name of the organization, contact person name, and contact person’s email address to verify your hours. The Give Pulse Student Guide goes into detail about how to submit hours.
Q: Can I volunteer with my church or other religious organization/institution?
A: Yes, however, some activities do not count. For example, Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, Church Camps, etc., will not be approved, as they are ministry/worship-based activities, which benefit church members only. Volunteering in a church food pantry that provides for the larger community would be approved, though. The best way to think about this is to consider who benefits from the service activity: is it others outside of the group or organization in question? If yes, then the activity is likely to be approved.
Q: Do I always need to "share" my impacts on TCC: Give Pulse?
- If you're a TA student: in order to receive credit for the service, you must share your impacts with the TCC: Give Pulse "main" or "parent" group.
- If you're in a service-learning class: in order to receive credit, you must share your impacts with your Service-Learning course in TCC: Give Pulse.
- If you're a TA student AND in a service-learning class: you must do both in order to receive credit!
Community Partner FAQs
Q: How does my organization join TCC: Give Pulse?
A: If you are a local non-profit and would like to partner with TCC, please email the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you would like to have a page on TCC: Give Pulse. In your email please provide the name of your organization, a brief description (will be shown on your TCC: Give Pulse Account page), your address, and the name and email address of the person at your organization who will manage your page.
Q: What are the requirements to be a community partner on TCC: Give Pulse?
A: TCC partnered with Give Pulse to provide a platform for the community so students can easily connect with your organization to help make an impact. On TCC: Give Pulse, we only request that you post your available volunteer opportunities, and verify student hours within a reasonable time frame.
Students and Community Partners: Have other questions or need clarification about anything? Please contact Auggie Valadez, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com. Thank you!