Tulsa Achieves Volunteering
Volunteering is an important part of Tulsa Achieves, as our students generate thousands of hours of volunteer service throughout Tulsa County. While giving back to the community, students learn the value of engagement and gain an understanding of non-profit organizations in our area.
Tulsa Achieves Volunteer Requirements
Each student in Tulsa Achieves is required to complete volunteer service for each academic year in the program. Please view the guidelines for Tulsa Achieves volunteer service:
- Forty volunteer service hours are required per academic year started in the program (Fall to Summer semester). Hours are not pro-rated by semester.
- Service hours must be completed with a Tulsa County Non-profit organization and provide a benefit to the community.
- Must log and verify hours on TCC GivePulse.
- Volunteer service for each academic year must be completed by August 1 for the preceding fall and spring semesters.
- Hours are not affected by the amount of funding you receive.
Service that does not count for Tulsa Achieves Volunteering
- Service completed with for-profit businesses
- Service performed with organizations outside of Tulsa County
- Fostering animals
- Ministry/Worship-based activities
- Service that only benefits the agency at which it is performed
- Service for which compensation of any form is received
- Internships, clinicals, fieldwork experiences, court-ordered community service, etc.
Volunteer Service Deadlines
Volunteer service for each academic year must be completed by August 1 for the preceding Fall and Spring semesters.
Incomplete Volunteer Service Hours
If you do not complete your volunteer hours by the August 1 deadline each year, a transcript hold will be placed on your account, preventing you from obtaining a copy of your transcript until the hours are completed. Incomplete volunteer service hours will NEVER remove you from Tulsa Achieves, affect your funding, or impact your ability to enroll at or graduate from TCC.
Yearly Required Total Service Hours
|Academic Year||Total of Service hours required||Due date|
|2019-20||Exempt (due to covid)||-|
- If your service requires driving to a site, be sure you know where you are going. Use common sense.
- Once there, lock your car. Do not leave valuables in plain sight in your car.
- Be sure to carry a contact name and number for the community partner in case you are running late or get lost.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Report any incidents to your professor or volunteer coordinator immediately.
- COVID-related: Students serving in the community will observe all TCC campus protocols related to social distancing and washing hands frequently and thoroughly. The CDC strongly encourages wearing a face-covering in addition to these protocols, even if you are fully vaccinated.
- COVID-related: Students at risk of complications of COVID-19 are strongly advised to seek remote/virtual service opportunities.
- Avoid open-toed shoes for most volunteer experiences
- Use good hygiene practices
- Avoid very tight-fitting and overly revealing clothing
- Dress comfortably
- Direct all questions about dress to your professor and/or your community partner
All students have access to TCC GivePulse, a volunteer platform designed to help TCC students connect with organizations in the Tulsa area. Log your service hours on TCC GivePulse, and look for service opportunities that match your interests, career plan and schedule! You can find more information about TCC GivePulse on the MyTCC portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many hours must I complete if I only attend one semester?
Forty service hours are required, even if you are only attending for one semester. Service hours are not divided by semester and students have the entire academic year (Fall-Summer) to complete them, even if attending only one semester.
I didn’t receive any financial assistance from Tulsa Achieves. Do I still need to complete the service hours?
Yes, service hours are a requirement of the Tulsa Achieves program and are not tied to the amount of funding received.
I did not meet the required service hours by the deadline. Will I be removed from Tulsa Achieves?
No. Incomplete service hours will only result in a transcript hold until the service hours are completed.
Can I volunteer for an organization that is not on TCC GivePulse?
Yes, as long as they meet the requirements for a Tulsa Achieves approved site (non-profit organization located in Tulsa County).
Can I volunteer with my church or other religious organization/institution?
Yes, if the activity is one that benefits the community, such as a food pantry or clothing drive. Worship-based activities that are for the benefit of church members only do not count.
If you have other questions or need clarification about anything, please contact Auggie Valadez at email@example.com.