Eight Dimensions of Wellness
SAMHSA Dimensions of Wellness
Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Definition: coping eﬀectively with life and creating satisfying relationships.
- Take time for self-care
- Listen to music
- Reach out for help when you need it
- Develop a support network of people you trust
Definition: expanding your sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Create a quiet space for solitude and meditation
- Spend time in nature
- Learn self-acceptance
- Reflect on your personal values and beliefs
Definition: recognizing creative abilities and ﬁnding ways to expand knowledge and skills.
- Read a book even if it’s just for a few minutes a day
- Journal or start a blog about your interests and/or passions
- Join a study group
- Complete a challenging puzzle
Definition: recognizing the need for physical activity, diet, sleep, and nutrition.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep a night
- Try to fit a form of exercise into your daily routine
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Stay hydrated
Definition: achieving good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being.
- Do your part to keep your environment safe
- Plant a personal or community garden
- Go for a walk and enjoy nature
Definition: ﬁnding satisfaction with current and future ﬁnancial situations.
- Follow a budget
- Cut back or limit the unnecessary expense
- Limit and/or pay off debt
Definition: getting personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work and hobbies.
- Build relationships with coworkers
- Balance work and leisure time
- Take training to learn a new skill related to your occupation