Career Planning is designed to assist with making informed career decisions. It is individualized to meet each participant's needs and appointments are made at the user's convenience.
Currently enrolled students, graduates or members of TCC Alumni and Friends may utilize Career Planning services. Contact a Career Advisor to get started.
Facts and Benefits
The following information is used with the permission of ACT and is taken from the ACT DISCOVER Career Development Curricula for Colleges.
- You will spend more than 80,000 hours of your life working! Why spend it doing something you don't enjoy?
- The occupation you choose has a big impact on many aspects of your life. Narrowing your choices somewhat helps to define your lifestyle and gives you a clearer picture of who you are.
- Career planning helps you learn more about yourself. Learning more about your interests and preferences enables you to form more meaningful relationships with friends and significant others.
- People gain decision-making skills and occupational knowledge through career planning activities.
- When you are faced with many, many career options, you may not take the time to explore them in depth: instead, you may feel overwhelmed!
- Good decision-makers take time exploring options and are able to make informed, satisfying decisions.
- Career planning results in having realistic career goals.
- Students who engage in career planning programs report higher grades and feel better prepared for the future compared to students who do not.
- Career planning helps people face and find solutions to educational and career barriers.
- Career planning helps people develop a support network and learn where to go when help is needed.
- Students who have utilized planning resources have more confidence in themselves and are more motivated to achieve their goals.
Career assessments are an important part of career planning. Assessments help you to explore and clarify your career choices by providing information about You and CAREERS. Assessments and good career information can help you examine your work values, interests, abilities and personality type. Once you complete an assessment you will begin to have a better understanding for the career areas that correspond with your personal preferences. This information will assist you with making informed career decisions.
The following describes many of our assessments and resources some of which will require contacting a Career Advisor to obtain a password.
FOCUS 2 CAREER - A Career, Major and Education Planning System
Focus 2 Career: FOCUS is an online, self-guided, interactive program designed to help you select the right college major and plan your career based on your personal interests, values, skills, personality and aspirations.
If you are a TCC student, follow these directions to access to Focus 2 Career:
1. Log on to MyTCC
2. Click “My Account,” at the top of the page.
3. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on the Focus 2 link
4. Register on the Focus 2 site and begin the assessment!
For those that are not a TCC student, you may apply for Focus 2.
College Central Network is TCC Career Services job listing software that enables you to access information on thousands of available jobs, either locally or nationwide via the web.
TypeFocus is an in-depth and comprehensive online career program that have many useful features including personality type and occupations information. Please contact a career counselor for the access code.
OKCareerGuide.org is a comprehensive and intuitive online system providing assessments, information about occupations, education and training, financial aid and much more! It is written for Oklahoma students and adults.
OKJobMatch searches more than 16,000 websites, matching you with the right job opportunities in all of Oklahoma's 77 counties and neighboring states. All at zero cost to you. OKJobMatch is a joint project of the workforce system partners in the State of Oklahoma. The project is led by the Oklahoma Department of Commerce.
What can I do with a Major in...? Offers numerous information on a variety of college majors.
TCC Library Career Guide has many helpful links to career resources.