Wellness Services empowers student success by identifying challenges and helping students find the appropriate resources to assist them in meeting their educational goals. Wellness Services offers a full spectrum of services that encompass education, prevention and intervention strategies so that students may choose the service level that is right for their needs.
SAMHSA envisions wellness not as the absence of disease, illness, and stress, but as the presence of a positive purpose in life, satisfying work and play, joyful relationships, a healthy body and living environment, and happiness, in accordance with Halbert Dunn's seminal wellness concepts (Dunn, 1961).
Wellness Services recognizes SAMHSA’s 8 Dimensions of Wellness.
Definition: coping eﬀectively with life and creating satisfying relationships.
- Take time for self-care
- Listen to music
- Reach out for help when you need it
- Develop a support network of people you trust
Definition: expanding your sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Create a quiet space for solitude and meditation
- Spend time in nature
- Learn self-acceptance
- Reflect on your personal values and beliefs
Definition: recognizing creative abilities and ﬁnding ways to expand knowledge and skills.
- Read a book even if it’s just for a few minutes a day
- Journal or start a blog about your interests and/or passions
- Join a study group
- Complete a challenging puzzle
Definition: recognizing the need for physical activity, diet, sleep, and nutrition.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep a night
- Try to fit a form of exercise into your daily routine
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Stay hydrated
Definition: achieving good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being.
- Do your part to keep your environment safe
- Plant a personal or community garden
- Go for a walk and enjoy nature
Definition: ﬁnding satisfaction with current and future ﬁnancial situations.
- Follow a budget
- Cut back or limit unnecessary expense
- Limit and/or pay off debt
Definition: getting personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work and hobbies.
- Build relationships with coworker
- Balance work and leisure time
- Take a training to learn a new skill related to your occupation
Definition: developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system.
- Set healthy boundaries with family and friends
- Turn to a friend or a family member when you feel overwhelmed
- Join a club or organization
- Work on conflict resolution skills